Help

Special Education

progress notes

>

grade3teacher

progress notes
Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm writing my progress notes and am tired of 'fudging' for the reg ed teacher handling my students. One particular student has not made the progress that I feel he could have been making because the teacher won't follow through on any of the SDIs. She's been teaching 50+ years and her response to dealing with any of my students is "I yell at them and they won't listen. He's annoying all of the other students." The principal is aware, but won't do anything. The teacher is retiring at the end of the year.
Do I just let it go and fudge this last set of progress reports? Causing a fuss hasn't gotten me anywhere in the past. ??????

grade3teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Pick your fights. Is this one really worth it if she's retiring and the principal knows and won't do anything? My suggestion is to cover your butt with documentation so if it comes back or goes to due process you can prove it's the teacher and not you.

Or, if you have a SpEd supervisor (as I do) contact that person. I've been doing this a year and have already learned which teachers are NEVER going to follow the rules no matter what I try and do. I document, pull the kids as often as I can, make sure they take tests in my room and move on.

In the end, I need to be able to work with my colleagues.

If you want to be really pissy you can go into the principal and mention "due process" I did that because of a meeting we were having...I thought she was going to pass out! (And it wasn't anyone's fault..we all did our jobs)
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The general ed teacher is responsible for the implementation of the SDI? I haven't heard of that before, and it's made a big point that that isn't allowed here. Are you designing SDIs that gen ed teachers have to implement?

If the teacher is retiring this year, it'd be a losing battle to make a stink now, especially since it sounds like you've tried that. Sounds like the P has decided it's not worth it either. Of course, if the gen ed teacher is responsible for that and is not following through, that leaves the teacher/school wide open for a lawsuit. I'd want to document your part in some way, whether through email or ...?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

I never have the general education teacher
Old 04-14-2012, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

do any of the SDI other than the prompting to do the tasks that I have already modified, or look at the personal schedules I have created. If the students are getting lost in the shuffle of huge g.e. classes, I will pull them and bring them to work in my room even if it is not the official time.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote