Does Anyone Make Bulletin Boards That Feature Student Progress? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Does Anyone Make Bulletin Boards That Feature Student Progress?

>

anna

Does Anyone Make Bulletin Boards That Feature Student Progress?
Old 08-04-2018, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm torn about this issue. I have never done it . Many of my colleagues post the progress level of every student in regards to their sight word work. I have avoided this because I feel like it shames kids. I saw a board a few weeks ago that posted just the names of students who had reached a level. This type of board at least acknowledges the efforts of those who had passed a level. What do you do in your class?

anna is online now   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Ferpa
Old 08-04-2018, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My district is really careful about FERPA laws...which means that student data like that cannot be posted. But, I do think that type of data can be powerful when students see it...So we do data binders & goal setting at most grade levels. My grade level does data tracking & goal setting on Chromebooks since students are 1-to-1.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-04-2018, 10:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I make a sticker chart for each of my students for their IEP goals. For example, if they have a goal to read 60 wpm it would say, "I can read this many words in one minute:" and then have boxes underneath in increments of 5-10 so they can put a sticker on each time they reach a new milestone.

I have a bulletin board that displays some of the charts. I ask the students if they want their chart on the board so their friends can celebrate their progress with them or if they would rather have it in their binder where only they can see it. Most want it on the board, but I do have a few students who choose keeping it in the binder each year. I think it's good to give a choice.

The other thing is that since mine are IEP goals, they are already individualized. I would be a lot more concerned about the "shaming" factor in boards that are all based on grade level standards and expecting each student to reach the same target. I understand that the teachers who have these mean well and that it's meant to celebrate everyone's progress toward the goal, but I know I'd feel awful if it were my name up there way behind everyone else's.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Posting student data
Old 08-05-2018, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I remember years ago an initiative to show graphs and charts, I forget the name of that one... I use to show homework and spell tests but no longer.
I like the idea of student work hanging that shows exemplary effort and skill instead.

I would never show students "level" in anything! That leads to comparison and not in a good way.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 08-05-2018, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The kinder teachers in our school divided out the curriculum sight words by unit and color coded to match the rainbow (unit 1 = red, unit 2 = orange). They all have a rainbow in their room and they put each student's picture on a cloud and the kids get to move their cloud along the colors of the rainbow as they pass their sight words for each unit/color. I'm torn about posting progress/levels as well, but I will say that the teachers do a great job of celebrating the moving up of a level more than which level the student is actually on, and they don't normally post the rainbow until Unit 3, so typically everyone gets to move at least from red to orange right away and they all get to celebrate that.

WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

My Data
Old 08-05-2018, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Each student has a data binder where their own info is kept. I used plastic poly folders with prongs. I conferenced with each after their assessments and we graphed the results together. The only person -besides me- who saw the data was the student.

I had most improved awards and celebrated any growth (+1 to infinity lol). I had my class data to show my p and had data for problem solving but it was never public for the kids to see each other’s progress.
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

Laurasusie

Data on walls
Old 08-05-2018, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hello,
I teach kindergarten. I feel very strongly about this. I refuse to post my students scores on the wall.
I taught first as few years ago. When the students passed a math facts test, they would get a scoop of ice cream on their cone on the board. Toward the end of the year, I was passing out tests and a child said, "I'm not gonna try. I only have one scoop." The rest of the class had around 10. I feel she was defeated because of that bulletin board.
My principal says we should have reading levels displayed as well as other scores. I feel that my A readers will have that defeated feeling seeing the other kids at D, etc. I will not do it.
Laurasusie is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Me too..
Old 08-05-2018, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do one for class goals. For example, I'll post our class's average RIT for MAPS and then set a goal. No one knows what each individual got, just the class average. In their data folders, they have their own score.

I like Haley's idea of giving the students the option.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Roz

Individual Data
Old 08-06-2018, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Somewhat similar to MissESL, my students have data binders for certain assessments. With different classes & grades, we've used a picture to color, a graph to complete, or a small box to record info. & data in.
Students often work together as buddies to make progress with any number of skills, and are supportive of each other's progress, but this info. isn't posted. I do think that having an individual chart which young students could color/mark to see their progress might be helpful. I'd opt to keep charts in a folder, though.
Like TeacherBee__4, progress on class goals / bucket-filling, special projects will be posted.
Roz is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

True story
Old 08-06-2018, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I’m in my mid-30’s now but when I was in 3rd grade we were learning our multiplication facts. My teacher had a bulletin board that was a race track divided into each fact (1s, 2s, 3s, etc). Each student was a race car. Each week we took our “fast fact” test. When you passed the test your race car would move on the track. You didn’t advance to take the next test until you passed the prior one.

So, there was lil’ o me: My mom was a teacher, my dad was an accountant. They both practiced and drilled facts with me every night. However, I was *that* student where the facts just didn’t stick no matter how much I tried.

All I remember was my little race car with my name in it stuck on the 3’s facts when the majority of the class was up on the 7‘s, 8’s, 9’s... I very vividly remember the anxiety, stress, and how embarrassed I was about my race car. I hated math from that point onward and always avoided it going forward in my education.

Now as an educator, I am all for goal setting, etc, but I absolutely refuse to subject any of my students to that “encouragement” due to some need for data.

WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

pg

hmmm...
Old 08-10-2018, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm not as organized as all of you seem to be, but I've done two things that I don't see here:

1. When I taugh ~ t 4th grade, we were tracking something and posting it. However, to help to help with some of the issues that I see here, I simply used "Passwords" instead of the student names on the display. So, at least they had some sense of privacy. (And they loved the idea of having a "password"!)

2. I teach 8th grade now. I have done a few things where I displayed quality work ~ doing this does have some merit... But I always make an announcement that for anyone not finding their work posted, I'm happy to meet with them and support their creation of something that would get on the board. I really have never had any "takers", but I feel that's a good way to get them past their disappointment with the circumstances... And a good way to get them to take some responsibility for what they are doing.
pg is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher0729

No!
Old 08-17-2018, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I also feel strongly that progress should be private between the teacher and the student. Why encourage the student to compare themselves to others and lower self esteem? For the students who pass levels quickly, they get the idea that they are "better" than others which doesn't teach them anything either. Each child is at a different place in their learning and growth is what should be celebrated and I think that growth should even be celebrated privately because some students might not grow as much and that is ok.

I have a file folder on my bulletin board that keeps track of student progress but it is inside a file folder that others can't see and I conference individually with students about their progress.
teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote