Help

Special Education

Early Childhood SPED 3-4yrs

>

teacher0729

Early Childhood SPED 3-4yrs
Old 11-07-2018, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am almost done with my add on early childhood SPED certification. My district currently doesnít offer any EC sped opportunities right now unless a student just attends the general ed 4K class with some special ed services. When I asked my district what they would do with me being EC certified, she said she wants to find better ways to serve 3-4 year olds including maybe a stay and play but she is open to ideas. I have no idea what else we would do. Many children with more significant needs go to a separate school for children with disabilities (which I know isnít best practice). Our school serves mostly EBD, LD, and OHI in the form of ADHD. What does your school do for 3-4 year olds with special needs or do you have any ideas for me?

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

amherstteach

Old 11-08-2018, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our preschool is set up specifically for our students with special needs. The do a Peer Modeling set up. Here is the description of the peer models!

Peer Models are children without delays or disabilities who are age 4 or 5 who are integrated and participate along with the special needs students in the preschool program. Peer Models will be exposed to cognitive, language, physical, and self-help development while developing peer relationships which are important for the social and cognitive development of every child. While benefiting from the preschool experience, these children provide peer interaction and social motivation for the preschoolers with special needs. All children learn, not only from adults, but from watching and interacting with other children.
amherstteach is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 11-08-2018, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ours are integrated into the 4K program. I'm not sure of top limit of students for the 4K class, but sped is limited to 7. I'm thinking typical class is around 17-18 total students. The class with the sped students has 3 adults - 1 sped teacher, 1 regular ed teacher and 1 assistant.
elspeech is online now   Reply With Quote
Prekteach13

Prekteach13

Old 11-15-2018, 12:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach preschool sped in my district. We have 1 preschool classroom in each elementary school that serves both sped/typical peers. My classroom has 19 students, with about 80% being on my sped caseload and the rest are peer models. I serve as both sped/gen ed. There are districts around me that provide preschool sped as a push-in/pull-out resource setting and have separate sped and gen ed preschool teachers.

Are you looking to provide some sort of service after the school day? What do services look like at your school now?

teacher0729

Old 11-20-2018, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Right now we have 2 4K classes with gen ed teachers and the sped teacher goes into the classroom or pulls them out depending on the students IEP. It sounds like my district wants to serve the 3 year old population as well but we donít have any 3 year old classrooms, just 4K. So Iím not sure if they are thinking just a couple hours that their parent brings them in or what. Iím just wondering what is out there

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote