Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Disney World

>

scprek

Disney World
Old 06-20-2019, 04:30 PM

I am going on a family vacation to Disney World. What are some other must see things to do in Orlando? Also, what are some good places to eat?

scprek is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

Old 06-20-2019, 05:48 PM

How long are you staying? I think we did 6 nights and it wasn't enough to really do everything in the parks. We stayed on-site and never made it to some of the other area attractions and restaurants. If you eat on-site we thought Ohana was a must-do and there was a dinner show that was pretty good too. It was at their Wilderness resort, I think.
Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 06-20-2019, 06:55 PM

My favorite restaurant in Disney is the Coral Reef Restaurant in Epcot. Our kids' favorite restaurant is the T-Rex Cafe in Disney Springs. For sweet treats, I love the Toothsome Chocolate Emporium and Savory Feast Kitchen in the Universal CityWalk.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 06-20-2019, 08:10 PM

I love the 50's Prime Time Cafe at Hollywood Studios.

Check this listing out....

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 06-21-2019, 01:26 AM

We go to WDW every year. Sometimes we go off-property; other times we never do. (Never been to Universal or Sea World.) Depending on how old your kids are, the Tiffany museum in Winter Park is really good and very unusual. But it's a fair drive from WDW, maybe an hour by the time you drive through Orlando on I-4. Orlando Vineland Outlet Mall, just off I-4 near WDW, is huge. Remember, too, that Disney Springs is a huge shopping and dining area and is open until midnight. You don't need a park ticket to get in.

At WDW, we eat dinner at the resorts more than at the parks. We always work in meals at Olivia's (Old Key West resort), the Kona Cafe (Polynesian), the Wave (Contemporary), and Wolfgang Puck Express (Downtown Disney on the Marketplace side, NOT the fancy new expensive Wolfgang place). For food ideas, also look at Disney Food Blog and Allears.net. (Disney Food Blog also prints stories on Disneyland, so make sure the story you're reading applies to WDW.) Note on Hifi's post: Ohana is at the Polynesian, not the Wilderness. The show at the Wilderness campground is the Hoop-de-doo Revue, which is a ton of fun.

Last edited by teacherwriter; 06-21-2019 at 02:03 AM..
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

musiclover

Other attractions
Old 06-21-2019, 03:38 AM

There is Universal Studios, which has a new Harry Potter ride (with very long wait times) but older Harry Potter attractions if you like that. Universal also has some good rides for little kids (Dr. Seuss) plus some great coasters.

Sea World just opened its Sesame Street attraction for the littles. It is by far my favorite park. Smaller, less crowded, many good shows if you like to sit for a while. You can visit SW for a day and truly feel like you have seen it all....not true with any other park here.

Discovery Cove is a water park where you can swim with dolphins.

International Drive, near SeaWorld, has a small aquarium, an observation wheel, miniature golf, and a new skyride with swings for thrill seekers. Also, near those places are some really excellent restaurants.

Sand Lake Road - Dr. Phillips area - is a very short drive and has good restaurants and shopping. Upscale but not priced like the theme parks. If shopping is your thing, there is also a factory outlet called Vineland Outlets. Always crowded, parking and getting in and out is difficult.

Enjoy your stay and feel free to PM me if you need more info.

You didn't ask about packing so I assume you know it's 95 every day right now with afternoon showers. Pack a poncho or light rain jacket.
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 06-21-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Sand Lake Road - Dr. Phillips area - is a very short drive and has good restaurants and shopping.
I didn't mention Dr. Phillips, but yes--we're up there every time we go to WDW. We stay at a DVC resort, so we go to Publix on Sand Lake Road for supplies and usually pair that with a trip to the Barnes & Noble and then Panera for lunch.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

I love WDW!!
Old 06-21-2019, 07:50 AM

Our favorite spot to eat at Disney Springs is Earl of Sandwich. We ate there 2 times this week while we were at Disney. $8 sandwiches. I love the Holiday sandwich. My DH loves the ham and swiss. The mac and cheese is good, too. Big enough to share.

Ample Hills Creamery at Boardwalk is great. The Ooey Gooey Butter Cake Ice Cream is amazing and worth every penny. It is easy to get there by boat from Epcot or Hollywood Studios.

Off property places if you have a car-- Flippers Pizzaria has a $6.99 lunch deal. The My Pie is huge. Sweet Tomatoes is my must do. It is a huge salad bar buffet. Join Club Veg on their web site and you will get weekly coupons. That shopping center has several good options for meals.

Giordano's has a good deep dish pizza if you have time. Also Twistee Treat just down the road from Giordano's is delightful.

There is a Winn-Dixie grocery store behind the Twistee Treat. Better prices than Goodings.

These are places we visit every time we go.

Also the outlet mall near Disney Springs has a Crocs outlet. It is a nice outlet mall. I think it is called Vineland Premium Outlets.
LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Hifiman,
Old 06-21-2019, 07:52 AM

Did you go to the Hoop Dee Do Review at Ft. Wilderness? That is a fun, family friendly dinner show. It's pricey, but something great to do at least 1 time with your family.
LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

CheddarCheese

Old 06-22-2019, 08:18 AM

50s Prime Time in Hollywood Studios is really good! I had the sampler with pot roast, chicken, and meatloaf. It was so good! Part of the theme is not using your cell phone at the table and being engrossed in it. Pinocchioís in Magical Kingdom has a really good flatbread pizza. I canít remember the name of it, but itís across from the Christmas shop. They have Nutella waffles with fresh fruit. Tusker House in Animal Kingdom is a good buffet option. It has some traditional options (including kid favorites).

Offsite, we also get Chicago deep dish pizza from Giordanoís. We get take out since it takes 45 minutes to make.

If youíre one Facebook, join some of the Disney planning groups. There are sooo many posts about food 😂.

For things to do, the Premium Outlets on Vineland are good to go by. They have Character Warehouse which has discounted authentic things from the parks. Itís owned by Disney and different from your typical Disney store. The World of Disney at Disney Springs is amazing. They have so much stuff. At Universal, they have City Walk which is similar to Disney Springs, but with Universal themes. I havenít been there in forever so I canít remember what all is there.

CheddarCheese is offline   Reply With Quote

crayonbox

Old 06-22-2019, 08:44 PM

I also recommend Wofgang Puck's Express restaurant at Disney Springs. It is very good... So good we are there 3 times while there a few weeks ago.

Goofy's Candy Shop is a fun dessert stop at Disney Springs. We love the Rice Krispy treat Mickeys.
crayonbox is offline   Reply With Quote