I watched John Wick 2 first. Then I watched John Wick 1 second. Huh? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I watched John Wick 2 first. Then I watched John Wick 1 second. Huh?

>

Hifiman

I watched John Wick 2 first. Then I watched John Wick 1 second. Huh?
Old 06-20-2019, 04:41 PM

I am surprised to learn this is a really popular franchise. A while back the 2nd one was on cable and nothing else was on. I didn't quite get it. I checked many times if anything else was on without success. I watched the whole thing and still didn't get it.

Recently I watched bits and pieces of the first one. I still don't get it. Maybe I'd get it if I watched the whole thing from beginning to end, but I doubt even then I'd get it.

I like the fight scenes in that they seem way more realistic instead of the silliness in every other movie the last 20 years. At least I think it's realistic. I'm more of a lover than a fighter. Lover-ish?

Other than that I get the sense that the entire budget was put into black clothing and not so much left over for writing. I suspect I can basically figure out what the 3rd one is like without actually having to watch it.

Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 06-20-2019, 06:47 PM

I'm so glad you wrote this. I've been hearing a lot of hype about these movies and have been thinking I need to check them out. I really like Keanu Reeves. But thanks to your review, I now don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I think I'll pass and just continue to enjoy Keanu Reeves memes.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 06-20-2019, 06:48 PM

Iím not surprised. The only things Iíve ever liked Keanu in are:
1) Point Break
2) Speed

Anything else is too painful to watch.
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 06-21-2019, 04:10 AM

If you missed the beginning of the the first movie, then you probably missed all of John Wick's backstory. (I haven't seen the 2nd movie so I don't know if they reiterate any of that or not.) In theory, the plots of both movies revolve around the question of whether the most deadly hitman in the world can ever retire, live a normal life and attain redemption. And, of course, the answer is no. The budget goes to all those violent action sequences. They are very well done but if you're not a fan of that (and I'm really not) then the movies will have limited appeal for you. I actually think Reeves does a pretty good job with what is essentially a one-dimensional character.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

That helps, Tori
Old 06-21-2019, 04:28 AM

I agree about Keanu. I like him in the movie even though thereís not much to his character. I never understood why things happening were happening but I will check out the very beginning.

Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

John wick
Old 06-21-2019, 06:37 AM

I watched the first one for the exact same reason...it was on and nothing else appealed to me. Didnít really understand the premise...it doesnít really hold water.

My Dh and dd say #2 isnít good but #3 is.

I think Keanu Reeves is only capable of one dimensional acting...but I still like him.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

movie
Old 06-21-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I think Keanu Reeves is only capable of one dimensional acting..
I agree 100%! Years ago I saw him in Much Ado About Nothing in our local village theater. He was so painfully bad in that movie that the locals in this surfing town kept yelling "Duuuude" whenever he was on screen, referring to his Point Break character Johnny Utah. He hasn't improved much since his early movies.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote