Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Thanksgiving

>

Nonie

Thanksgiving
Old 11-07-2019, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In the past I have used the scholastic site to teach about the Mayflower and Native Americans. I have a parent fussing that teaching about Native Americans at Thanksgiving is inappropriate. What do you teach at this time of year? We also talk about foods of that time and have a harvest feast and have in the past dressed up as Native or Pilgrim.

Nonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Teaching holidays
Old 11-07-2019, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Teaching about holidays and cultures is one of those things that teachers will never get a break on. The best we can do is be careful with our words and sources and keep information as neutral and age-appropriate as possible. To me, Thanksgiving is a significant American holiday and did, in reality, include Native Americans. I'm not sure about dressing up, as I could see a concern about stereotypes, but I also understand that they are children and children like dressing up. What is the specific concern of the parent? Also check your state standards and district curriculum guide - you might be able to use these as a buffer when the parent fusses.
Youthcantknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Thanksgiving
Old 11-07-2019, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What exactly is the parentís complaint? Native Americans have gone on record saying they would prefer teachers to be far more honest in how they teach the original Thanksgiving story, and to focus on the native culture during a different month.

In California, third grade studies indigenous tribes.

I have had several native families in my time, and once they realized I wasnít going to romanticize the first Thanksgiving, and be respectful, they were ok.

A really good web site/resource is the Oyate site. It is seriously good.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote