Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Long afternoons

>

dusty

Long afternoons
Old 09-18-2019, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My first grade class has a long afternoon. Our lunch/recess ends at 11:50 which leaves us with about 2 hours in the afternoon. I try to make time for math games and science activities but I can’t do that every day. Any ideas for keeping them engaged during long afternoons when they’re tired.

Last edited by dusty; 09-18-2019 at 02:03 PM..
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 09-18-2019, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 2nd, and we have 2 hours straight, too, in the afternoon. Granted, it is easier for 2nd graders, but here are some ideas:

*PM read aloud. I usually make it math or science related. Then, possibly, a follow up activity.

*Math stations.

*Something "unique" that you might not do otherwise. Tied to Sci. or SS. For example, we are making a book (each child is making their own copy) on "Life Then, and Now". Each day, we do a page or 2. I model under the doc camera, they make the page in their books.

*Alternate between floor and desks. On the floor, we alternate between facing the easel and doing an activity OR sitting in a big circle and doing an activity.

*Something partner related. Could be a math game, a phonics activity, a sorting activity, etc.

*Learning videos. Then, maybe a follow up activity.

For me, what has helped is to mix it up a bit.

I've even been known to come right back after lunch and do 1 more reading group while the rest book box read quietly. They LOVE this and it helps make the 2 hours go a bit faster.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Veggirl

Old 12-26-2019, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our first grade this year has lunch from 10:45 - 11:15. They have complained about the very long afternoons as well. I know they added an extra recess (they rotate who goes to watch the kiddos) but other than that I'm not sure how they handled it. I'll have to find out though as I loop and will be in first next year!
Veggirl is offline   Reply With Quote