Reassurance letter and Unemployment (California) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Reassurance letter and Unemployment (California)

>

Cali sub

Cali sub

Reassurance letter and Unemployment (California)
Old 04-23-2020, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If the district sent me a "Reasonable Assurance Letter" to sub for the 2020-2021 school year and I sign it and return it to the district, does that mean my unemployment payments will stop now?

Does anyone know if unemployment payments will continue through the summer for subs? Or, are people working for school districts flagged in the system to skip payments in the summer?

If school starts in the fall, and I do not work any days one week, can I get unemployment payment for that week?

Thank you to those who have enlightened me on this. I am new to the unemployment thing and am learning as I go.

CC96

No
Old 04-23-2020, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The letter a reasonable assurance is for the next school year, in my mind as subs we cannot file for unemployment during the normal school breaks which would include summer, however, we are not currently in a normal school breakó this is the time we would normally be working, so no, your unemployment will not stop for now. If for some reason, the new school year comes and work is not available due to the COVID-19 situation, and you have a letter a reasonable assurance that you would have worked during that school year, then in my mind you could continue to file for unemployment when the school year would have resumed. Keep in mind that your unemployment has a limit and a balance that once reached precludes you from getting continued payments regardless of you employment status.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Letter of reasonable assurance, etc.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
If the district sent me a "Reasonable Assurance Letter" to sub for the 2020-2021 school year and I sign it and return it to the district, does that mean my unemployment payments will stop now?
No. It applies to scheduled breaks only. Not to the current emergency school closures.

Quote:
Does anyone know if unemployment payments will continue through the summer for subs? Or, are people working for school districts flagged in the system to skip payments in the summer?
Technically, the LRA is sent to prevent UI claims during regularly scheduled school breaks. But if you are currently collecting UI, I don't know how the LRA will impact you, once the normal summer break begins. It's EDD's call, not your district's. My GUESS is that you will be allowed to continue your UI payments until you resume employment. (I have been unable to find current info on EDD.ca.gov regarding how the LRA applies to claims filed due to Covid closures, so I'm surmising.)

Quote:
If school starts in the fall, and I do not work any days one week, can I get unemployment payment for that week?
Once you resume working, you must report your work hours and earnings to EDD. If you turn down work, you must report that as well. In order to qualify for payment, you must confirm that you have been available to work and looking for employment each week.

If your claim is still active and your week's income is less than your UI payment amount, then you may receive the difference (you must complete the weekly EDD report form to certify).

Note: It's best to go to the EDD.ca.gov site for the most accurate info.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 04-23-2020 at 06:33 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

California
Old 04-23-2020, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you put that you worked, would you report gross or net income? If net, how do you know what that would be?
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 04-23-2020, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
If you put that you worked, would you report gross or net income? If net, how do you know what that would be?
Gross earnings for that week per employer.

luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-24-2020, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I will continue to collect until my claim runs out. My claim will extend into the next year IF we start on time.

I will not collect for days that am offered jobs that I do not want, but on the rare occasion when there are no jobs offered from any of my districts, I will take advantage of my claim and collect, unless I am told to cease collecting. I will not try to collect during breaks.

If I still have money left on my claim by the time the end on the next school year arrives, I will stop collecting on it for the summer, but will continue in August 2021 if there are still funds available.

If the EDD is really on top of things, they might stop providing the option to file every two weeks once summer recess begins, but I think and hope we can continue through the summer
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote