Help

Substitute Teachers

Problems with EDD's BofA debit card

>

luv2teach2017

Problems with EDD's BofA debit card
Old 04-21-2020, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a real hassle trying to use the BofA debit card that EDD issued. I thought telling about my experience may help others here.

First off, 3 weeks after my claim was approved and payment issued, I still had not received my debit card! I thought it had been stolen or lost in the mail, so I called BofA to report it as lost/stolen. I had to try several times, but finally got through. They told me that my card wasn't issued because I had been issued a card in 2011 that had never been activated (??!!!) I told them that couldn't be and that I had a claim payment already issued on the new debit card. They said they would send another card to me.

A few days later, I got the debit card, but when I tried to activate it online and create a PIN (which the instructions dictate), I kept getting error messages saying that my info was invalid or my card was already active! I tried calling BofA MANY times on various days, but could not get through. At this point, my EDD account showed that I had been issued $2200 in payments! But I could not access it!

I finally decided to go to the local BofA branch to see if they could help me. The BofA teller told me that he couldn't activate it, but he verified that it had $2200 on it and said that he could do a "cash advance" and give me the money. He also said that my own bank could do the same.

So I got the $2200 in cash and went to my own bank to deposit it. My bank teller said that I could continue to go to my bank and get the cash advance each time I got an EDD payment. What a relief!

Long story short, I don't understand what happened or why I had trouble activating the card (I'm guessing that the BofA site is overloaded with EDD claimants). But as long as I can get my money via my bank, I'm OK.

Bottom line, if you've been issued UI funds but are having trouble getting your debit card activated, go to your own bank and ask them to cash out the card for you.

It was a lot of hassle, and I really got stressed over this, but at least I got my debit card and my money. That's more than a lot of folks have right now!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 04-21-2020 at 11:17 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

California
Old 04-21-2020, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've been having trouble with my balance. Apparently, I didn't log a withdrawal ( I are a college graduate ), and I couldn't find it in edd. The paperwork said to call the number on the back of the card.

When I called the b of a number, it said to go to the edd website for balance info, but I stayed on the line because I had already tried that.

It then gave me my balance, but said that some of it might be pending, so I always have my ATM card in case it doesn't go through. It didn't say how much, if any, was pending, but did give me a balance.

By the way, I had my interview for the teaching job next year. I've used zoom twice, before, with no problems; however, this morning they couldn't hear me. I did turn on audio and video, but it wouldn't work. Before they came on, the audio seemed to be working. Just a heads up to try to test to see if it works, ahead of time, if anybody has an interview, or whatever.

We had to do the interview by phone. I think I did o.k. Weight off my shoulders, that's for sure! It might make one look techno-ignorant, which isn't good for an interview.

Last edited by bodhimom; 04-21-2020 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Zoom heads up
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 04-21-2020, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

CA also: When I got the debit card I was able to create a transfer that sent the funds from B of A to my checking account at another bank, no charges. I don't have an account at B of A.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 04-21-2020, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yeah, but to arrange the direct deposit, you need to activate your card. That was the catch 22. I wasn't able to activate my card! The BofA site had an ongoing message that the system was overloaded with users. I couldn't get through to them by phone either!

I tried to activate my card several times over 2 days and tried all different ways to enter the info. I tried calling them at all hours of the day and night. No go. So I finally opted to seek out a real person at a BofA branch office.

BofA held up my card for nearly 3 weeks for no legitimate reason. That's why I got caught in the rush.

BTW: the BofA number is an 800 number. And the website is online, obviously. It doesn't matter what state you're in.

Sublime

Old 04-21-2020, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oops, sorry, you are right. I had no problem activating mine. I hope it resolves for you soon. This whole process has been frustrating.

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-22-2020, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If the debit cards are a problem, you might want to try requesting checks instead.

I wrote EDD after my first payment on the debit card and reminded them on my UI online page that I had requested checks instead of the debit card.

My check arrived four days after filing for my 2nd two weeks.

There was no $600 stimulus on my first two weeks, so either this began on March 30, or we will be paid retroactively.

My guess is that the stimulus began on March 30.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 04-22-2020, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I received my UI stimulus payments retroactive to my filing date (March. 15). They were on my debit card when I cashed it out last week.

I'll stick with the debit card. With so many people filing claims and collecting UI right now, I don't feel it's secure to have my check sent by mail. The payments are on the debit card the day after I submit my biweekly report, so it's quick. I'll just continue to do a cash withdrawal and deposit at my bank. Hopefully that will work OK.

I'm glad you finally got your check, Sirsubsalot! Your persistence paid off!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 04-22-2020 at 05:59 PM..

CC96

April
Old 04-22-2020, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The $600 payments donít kick in until the first week of April.
CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 04-23-2020, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Clarification: As of last week, I'd already received $1200 additional UI from the stimulus (two $600 payments). That's in addition to the fed govmt. one-time $1200 deposit, which I also received last week.

I don't like being out of work. I really miss the kids and teaching. But the additional stimulus $ at least helps with the finances.

bodhimom

California
Old 04-23-2020, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have actually been shocked at the money I have received. I never expected anything. It makes me feel better because I don't feel as much if a burden on my husband.

I think what many people need to learn from this, is that we need to save 3-months pay (expenses) saved up for something like this in the future. That way we don't have to tap into credit cards with that stress and interest.

luv2teach2017

Old 04-23-2020, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
think what many people need to learn from this, is that we need to save 3-months pay (expenses) saved up for something like this in the future. That way we don't have to tap into credit cards with that stress and interest.
True. But even if you have done that, it's still stressful to be suddenly thrown out of your job and steady income and into all this uncertainty. You're very lucky you have a significant other to lean on. Many don't.

bodhimom

Old 04-23-2020, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree 100%.

Sirsubalot

Old 04-24-2020, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am glad Luv2teach, clarified. I was about to write or call EDD and ask them when I was going to get the retroactive $1200 from my first two weeks.

I did not yet get the $1200 from the government, probably because I do not have direct deposit
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote