What is the maximum to stay on unemployment, and what is the maximum on the $600 week - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

What is the maximum to stay on unemployment, and what is the maximum on the $600 week

>

Bobbies

What is the maximum to stay on unemployment, and what is the maximum on the $600 week
Old 04-27-2020, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been reading conflicting reports as to how long we are allowed to be on unemployment along with how long the $600 we'll be allowed to collect. I know that I did not start getting $600 before the last few days of March. I started receiving unemployment the week of March 8th, as my last day was March 6th. Since March 8th was Spring break, I was told that I had a letter of reasonable assurance, so I did not start getting paid until the week of the 15th. On my unemployment page, there is a statement that says maximum benefits allowed.

Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

Coffee368

Old 04-28-2020, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As I understand it, the maximum depends on your previous earnings, so everyone has a different max....I donít know, but there is a limit to how much unemployment you can receive. They should also tell you through what date you can receive it, given your max amount you can receive.
Coffee368 is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 04-28-2020, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

f you feel there is a shortage of pay, inquire as there might be a time limit.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

California
Old 04-28-2020, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My paperwork stated my maximum amount. I believe it said I could get it for 26 weeks, but not sure. If I get the energy I'll look it up. I stapled all my paperwork together.

Maybe we could reapply if schools don't open next year?

I'm anxious to hear what happens in Georgia, who opened up really early. If they do well, we'll probably be o.k. for the fall.

I am hearing that we are in a "teachers market," by the way. I think a lot of teachers who were on the fence about quitting or retiring, are doing it. The school that I applied at had 4 teachers quit, and it's a small school. My interview was a week ago, today, and I haven't heard anything, yet. They said it could take two weeks. I'm trying to be patient, but it's hard.

You guys might want to check edjoin, if you're interested in teaching, next year.

Last edited by bodhimom; 04-28-2020 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: grammar error
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Schools will
Old 04-28-2020, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Schools will be open, however, Iím not sure if there will be many jobs available. I doubt that the districts are going to be doing in-service training etc. They are going to want to keep the teachers in the classroom doing double time to catch the kids up. Also, because of the great loss of revenue this year, district budgets will be tight. I know this will impact me greatly because I typically work five days a week and at least 98% of my jobs are due to inservice training, meetings etc. Also, if We are required to wear a mask I will be unable to work, I can barely stand 20 minutes in those things when I run an errand.😢 I honestly donít know how all of these workers wear them all day.😢

CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

California
Old 04-28-2020, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hate wearing masks, too. I only wear them when I absolutely have to. I volunteered at the food bank on Saturday and had to wear one. Hated it.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Not just hate
Old 04-28-2020, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Itís not just a matter of hating them, which of course I do, but I literally feel claustrophobic and since I have hot flashes and some of the schools I work at donít have air conditioning it will literally be impossible for me to work if I have to wear a mask. I also have to consider if itís really safe for me to go back in the classroom , which of course is a ďPetrie dishĒ because my husband who is 67 has medical conditions that would make it dangerous for him to get Covid19.😢 Because I will be 62, I can apply for SS, but I was still planning on working 2-3 days a week for many more years. I donít want to quit my districts during this health crisis and have to re-apply once we have good treatments and/or a safe vaccine.
Lots of things to consider.😩
CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-29-2020, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I hate the masks because the straps hurt my ears and my glasses steam up so I can't see anything part of the time, but since I need to care for my 87 year old mom, I need to wear it.

$600 stimulus ends on July 31, then its back to peanuts..
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote