Help

Substitute Teachers

Letter of Reasonable Assurance excerpt

>

luv2teach2017

Letter of Reasonable Assurance excerpt
Old 04-30-2020, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here's an excerpt from the LRA (letter of reasonable assurance) I recently got from my district in California:

"You may, nonetheless, file an Unemployment Insurance claim. Your entitlement to benefits will be determined by the EDD and not by this educational institution.

If you are not rehired after the recess period, you may be entitled to UI benefits retroactive to the date you filed an initial claim, if you are otherwise eligible and you filed a claim for each week, and if a claim for retroactive benefits is made within 30 days of the start of the next school year/term. "

I posted this because it makes clear that EDD determines your eligibility, NOT your district.

As for the other part, it is the standard LRA verbiage and doesn't address the COVID 19 school closures and layoffs. It is addressing those who want to apply for UI during the normal summer recess, not those who are already collecting UI due to the emergency school closures.

I'm guessing that the districts routinely send the LTRs out to all school employees, not just substitute teachers. Many school employees (such as ft teachers) have remained on the job during the mandated school closures and so would not be eligible to collect UI during their standard summer break period.

However, that's just my guess. I have searched online for reliable answers but haven't found anything to date. Hopefully, EDD will post something at some point. (You can try calling EDD, but good luck with that! )

Based on MY understanding and experience, once you've already started collecting UI, you continue to be eligible until either your claim expires OR you once again become gainfully employed and are earning at least as much as (or more than) the amount of your UI payments.(

NOTE: NOWHERE in the LTR I received does it tell us to notify EDD that we've received the letter.
)

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 04-30-2020 at 05:33 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-30-2020, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is all speculation, but I am going on what I have read in news articles: schools take a higher tax hit if they have employees out on UI, esp all their subs for the summer. I’m sure there has or will be some kind of assistance for these districts from the state or federal government. Even if your school denies your claim come summer time, I think the Cares act will supercede any kind of action they take in denying your claim. Worst case, we have to refile a claim, but it seems we would still be eligible for the expanded benefits as they have opened up unemployment to pretty much everyone from the self employed to people like us who were in “seasonal jobs.” While we might face another backlog of waiting for the money again, I don’t think anyone can take away our benefits for these 26 weeks,or in some cases 39 weeks.

And if anyone cares about teachers, the PR battle won’t look good for schools if they are trying to cut off benefits for underpaid employees who already work another job in the summer and don’t have benefits. They will still want us back in the fall, based on the assumption some schools will try to do in school classes no matter what the state of the virus is.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

CC96

Great letter
Old 04-30-2020, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

EDD did ask if I had received a letter of Assurance, at that point I had received one out of three I should get, so I answered “yes” and got benefits because I am laid off during a time I would normally be working.
CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 04-30-2020, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

All I can add is that teachers get paid year around because they are on a salary, even during the summer.

Worst case scenario is that we have to return the money. They can't eat us.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-30-2020, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I never thought we would need to end our claims during the summer recess.

I feel we are safe until the next year begins.

The possible exception would be if some unscrupulous school administrators decide to contact EDD to remind them we are not eligible during the summer, and EDD decides to stifle us. It is definetly not up to the districts.

I doubt any districts would try to stop our claims as long as the starting date of next school year is not known.

All three of my reasonable assurance letters were the same as every other year, with no mention of the virus.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-30-2020, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So you guys actually have to sign the letter and send it back? Seems so lame. I think one district did that to me once and I forgot to send it back but was still on the list. I get the letters, but it’s basically just a reminder we can’t file for unemployment on breaks.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

California
Old 04-30-2020, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You're probably right. I've also heard that HR doesn't even read the recommendation letters when one applies for a job. Can't blame them, really.

The thing is, though, that it says have you received one, not have you returned it.

I'm just going to tell the truth, if they ask. If I had kids, I might lie, but it isn't worth it for me to lie.

It only asked about receiving the letter on the original app, not when recertifying.

By the way, I haven't seen this mentioned on here. It said that we don't have to recertify, but it also said that we would have to do it in the future. I think we should keep a hard copy of any job searches, etc., just in case we need it, later.

I signed up at indeed and I get job openings in my county every week or so. I look through the jobs, but it's nothing even close to things I can do. Hopefully, that will cover me, if it comes up.

CC96

Jobs
Old 04-30-2020, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My paperwork said that I don’t have to look for a job, but have to be able an willing to work—presumably within my field.
CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 04-30-2020, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
I think we should keep a hard copy of any job searches, etc., just in case we need it, later.
Your job search details are only needed if the form has an X beneath "Did you look for work?" question #3 (which is very rare) and the form is for THE PARTICULAR WEEK THAT YOU ARE CERTIFYING. When we resume certifying on May 9, it will undoubtedly be the same process as usual. They are not going to ask you to account for all your job searches from prior certification periods.

whatever

I think that this CV makes
Old 04-30-2020, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

an exception to the old rules of unemployment. People who don't normally get it at all are getting it now so I think this means subs will get it even when you usually do not. Like a PP mentioned, it would take admin going out of their way to purposely try to stop it. And, it would take Unemployment Admin agreeing with that-- The OPs letter reminded folks that the Unemployment office makes the eligibility rules, not the contributing employers.

By the way, Bodhimon, Teachers do not get paid year-round because they are on salary. Teachers get paid for a specific number of contract days. Many of us allow them to set aside money from the regular monthly checks to cover insurance and payroll for the off/summer months. It is false to say that we get "paid" during the summer and vacations-we do not. Those summer checks are from money already earned.

whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

California
Old 04-30-2020, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Funny, I was a teacher for 10 years and received a check every single month.

Teachers are on a SALARY for a certain amount of money/year. They are not paid month by month, day by day, or anything else.

If you didn't get paid for the summer, it was because you SET IT UP THAT WAY. You can choose to get paid for 9 months or 12 months. You can't choose to get your money in 9 months and then (honestly) claim that you don't get paid for the summer. You received more money for 9 months!

Wow! Shocked I have to explain this. I guess some teachers, for some reason (sympathy?) like to claim that they don't get paid for the summer (and every other break), but they are purposely misleading people.

Sirsubalot

Old 04-30-2020, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

About 12 years ago, the receptionist at the front desk lost my assurance letter that I brought back in person.
They took me off the list, and it took three weeks to get back on, with many days of lost wages.

Ironically, this was the only year in my 22 years with the district that there was a paid sub meeting, and I was not invited since they thought I had quit.

It was also the only year we had a nasty sub tech, who fortunately moved to a different department the following year. I remember she seemed frustrated at me when I said I want back and that my letter was lost.

She really gave me attitude once when I called to ask if there were any late jobs for the day.

She rudely replied, " I know your available"

The bottom line is you had better take these letters seriously if you want to sub the next year.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 04-30-2020, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I guess if teachers got their money upfront, they would not be getting paid for 364 days of the year .

Good way to look like a victim, though.

luv2teach2017

Old 04-30-2020, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
About 12 years ago, the receptionist at the front desk lost my assurance letter that I brought back in person.
They took me off the list, and it took three weeks to get back on, with many days of lost wages.
Yeah, I believe it. I agree that it's best to sign the LRA if you intend to work for that district whenever schools reopen.

Remember, it's EDD that determines your eligibility for UI, NOT your employer(s). If you're currently collecting UI, then EDD has already determined you're eligible.

As far as teachers being salaried, it's irrelevant to this conversation. The bottom line is that the districts try to head off a potential stampede of UI claims during the standard school breaks by sending out the LRA to all employees. But as the LTR I quoted in my initial post states, it's EDD that determines whether or not you are eligible for UI, NOT the employer. And you have a right to apply. The districts can't forbid you.

That said, this situation is entirely different for those of us who got laid off due to the closures. If you are already collecting UI, then the normal progression is for your claim to remain open until it expires or you resume working and earning equivalent wages.

There's also the uncertainty about when schools will reopen and when substitute teachers will resume working. So for us, the LTR seems irrelevant given the circumstances.

bodhimom

Old 04-30-2020, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Teachers don't get the letter. If they aren't going to work the next year, they have to resign in March, or whatever the contract says. If the teacher is not going to reelected, they also have to be notified in March.

Just to clarify.

broomrider

bodhimom
Old 05-01-2020, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Just to clarify, in my district teachers earn their yearly salary during l85 days of service which is distributed in 12 equal payments. There is no mechanism to elect a different payment schedule.

Different rules for different locations.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

luv2teach2017
Old 05-01-2020, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I'm guessing the recent California Supreme Court decision cited by sweet sunset (above) is why your district is referencing EDD as the final determiner of eligibility of unemployment insurance eligibility. Also gets them off of being the bad guy--it's the legislature, not us. (No matter that they probably lobbied for the legislation.)
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 05-04-2020, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

But I can't imagine a teacher not having benefits for the summer and breaks, as the teacher(s) were claiming, as well. Any which way you slice it, I highly doubt any teachers go without benefits, unless they aren't returning, maybe.

I just have a pet peeves against teachers complaining about how little they get paid, when teacher salaries have never been a surprise. They knew what they were getting into. Then to hear them claim that they don't get paid or have benefits for the summer is ridiculous, in my never to be humble opinion.

I guess this part is a vent and a long rant... off-topic... Be warned...
I'm just having a lot of anxiety and even a panic attack, one time, it seems. Tomorrow will be two weeks since my interview. The principal at the interview said it may be two weeks. She sounded like their HR department is very slow. Seems like it took forever when I applied to sub, as well, but I thought it was because I applied in the middle of the year. I don't like being in limbo. I don't think they will call me unless I get the job. I want to call them, but don't want to bug them or look desperate. I wish they would call me either way, but I doubt it. I just want to know what is going on. It will really hurt my feelings if I don't get it because I've subbed there a lot this year. It is the only school I sub at.

The good news, I think, is that they had 4 teacher openings, for my school, and all 4 jobs are still listed, including mine, so it doesn't look like someone else got it. Jobs for the elementary schools have been filled, though, so the HR department must be working, at least some of the time. It seems like mine should be fast, though, since, assuming they like me, I don't think I'll have to do the background check and stuff, since I already sub there and they know me, a little bit.

With not being able to even volunteer, any more, all I do is sit around and think and that gives me the anxiety. My husband is "essential.".

Tomorrow I'm going to make a list of tasks for the day and I think I will go ahead and call HR. I've never worked in HR, so I have no idea of the process.