Help

Substitute Teachers

What's age got to do with it?

>

luv2teach2017

What's age got to do with it?
Old 05-22-2020, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

OK, I have to address something I'm seeing a lot of here lately. Folks making disparaging remarks about older people who are subs. It really bothers me.

You can easily talk about people's behaviors without the age bias thrown in ("old as dirt"? seriously?). Bear in mind that many who regularly participate here are "older". Age bias is no different than racism. Ageist references are unnecessary, hurtful, and based on small-minded thinking and cruel stereotypes.

I'll volunteer that I'm over 60 myself. I'm physically fit, work out and do yoga daily, and currently run 2 miles several days a week (and increasing). I sub exclusively the primary grades because I enjoy the young kids and can invest the energy and activity that age group requires. Am I "grandma" sitting at the desk knitting? Seriously? I'm also highly computer literate, more so than many people. Yet if you just saw my age on paper, would you want to typecast me too?

Also bear in mind that everyone ages. No one is exempt. If you're a younger person, before you resort to ageist stereotyping, think about it. How do you want to be regarded and treated when you're over 50? Also ask yourself, why are you so down on older people? A lot of the ageism is, I believe, based on fear of aging.

I'll tell you this. You can't stop yourself from getting older. But you do have control over HOW you age. Take care of yourself. Exercise, eat healthy, avoid toxic substances, and keep your mind active by learning and trying new things on a regular basis. Keep current with changes.

I'm not pointing out individual offenders here. That's not productive. But people here are educators, and as such, don't you think you should be mindful of bigotry and stereotyping in your own thinking and words? I hope to see more awareness and less bigotry and ageist stereotyping here. (However, I will call it out when I see it from now on. Be forewarned. )

luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 05-22-2020, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Because the virus issues are directly related to age, that's why.

Oh, I'm shaking. I'm sure you're talking about me. I think you are stereotyping ME in assuming that I am young. I am 53, for what it's worth.

The only way that someone will not offend somebody, at some point, in this country, is to never say anything.

By the way, with age being such a big part of the virus issue, it is probably going to be brought up. I think you need a thicker skin .

Last edited by bodhimom; 05-22-2020 at 12:39 PM..
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Akitia

What’s Age Got to Do with It?
Old 05-22-2020, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Amen! Amen! Amen!
Akitia is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 05-22-2020, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm not just talking about you, bohimom, and I'm not talking about Covid.. I've noticed others making ageist comments too, in posts not discussing the virus. (Maybe you need the thicker skin. ) I don't think they'd make racist comments here, so why make ageist comments?

The fact is that I could easily typecast young subs as well. I've seen many young subs who lack a work ethic too. I've seen subs, both young and older, who seem to think it's a "stand around and do as little as possible" kind of job. Negative behavior among subs isn't age related. No matter what someone's age, being incompetent on the job is not OK.

Let's please get age stereotypes out of the equation here. It's counterproductive.

P.S. Covid virus issues aren't age-dependent either. I have a 20 year old nephew who was healthy yet recently came down with a severe case of Covid. Children can get sick and die too. It's a total crap shoot as to who gets infected and who dies. No one is safe. Everyone needs to take precautions.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 05-22-2020 at 02:38 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 05-22-2020, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When you directly quote something I said, it's a valid assumption. It's called common sense.

I didn't say that Covid is age-dependant. Please don't put words in my mouth. It IS a big part of it, and virtually everybody else knows that. Many subs are probably quitting because of the virus combined with their age. It is a very valid discussion on this board.

I'm not going to keep going around and around about this. I will never change your mind, obviously, no matter how valid my argument.

bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote