Any Helpful Sub Websites?

>

bodhimom

Any Helpful Sub Websites?
Old 05-20-2020, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All!,

Hope all is well.

I'm feeling confident that school will start in the Fall and subs will be needed, at some point shortly after school starts.

I'm wasting a lot of time, these days, so I thought I would web-surf to see if I could find some helpful websites about subbing (preferably high school), or maybe other sub groups to check out. Then I realized that maybe I could save time/energy/frustration and see if some of you guys already are privy to some good sub sites (preferably for high school) that are helpful, or other sub groups? Anything?

One more thing. What do you guys take to class? I have actually been wondering this for a long time. I used to just take a notebook, but later switched to a smallish bag that I put the notebook in, with my lunch, 3 Gatorades, etc. It was a little heavy.

What do you guys take and what do you put it in?

I saw a sub pulling around a suitcase-thingy, on wheels, but I thought that was a little overkill, but I don't know. It would be nice to know that I always had everything I might need, and to be able to keep everything in the one suitcase-thingy (so I don't forget anything), but I don't want to look like a crazy old lady, either. When I saw the man with the suit-case thingy on wheels I thought it looked funny and a little strange, but now I'm wondering if he knew what he was doing, after all. He has been subbing a long time. I don't want the students (and office workers) to be laughing at me . Is there something in-between? What do you guys think?

I'll start. This is what I take:

Notebook/paper/post-it notes/pens/markers/highlighters
scissors/stapler
white-board markers (not currently, but I am going to get some for the fall because it is often the case that they don't work or there aren't any).
purse/lunch/3 Gatorades/jacket/umbrella

I'm curious if you guys take the same things as I do? More or less than me? And what you put it in? The suitcase-thingy makes me feel old (the guy using it was old), honestly, for some reason. On the other hand, I can put my purse, lunch, umbrella, (jacket?), in it, and always know that I have anything I might need, on me, and only one "case" to deal with so I don't forget something. I just don't want to look like an idiot. Will I look like an idiot? What do you guys think?

Last edited by bodhimom; 05-20-2020 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: Too long! Still long, but I tried!
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I'd add
Old 05-20-2020, 10:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

a couple of pair of latex gloves (student's nose bleeds), small bottle of headache remedy (for you only), small hand sanitizer (if you can find), small tube of hand lotion.

I also had a small case on wheels to save my back and shoulder to carry all my stuff. Liquids are quite heavy. I didn't feel like an idiot, rather felt intelligent.

BTW, I NEVER took my purse into a school, too easy to have it stolen. My wallet went under the passenger seat or in the trunk, depending on the car I drove. I had a small bag on a cord across my body with ID, some change and dollar bills, cell phone, and car keys (also school keys if I ever got any).
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 05-20-2020, 10:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wouldn't care how I looked if it was comfortable. You won't look like an idiot!

I have a large bag in which I have a folder with art activities, jokes, optical illusions, informative papers. All on paper. I don't bring any supplies. I use whatever the teacher has but I do get upset when I can't find paper clips or Post-It Notes! I bring a couple books, depending on the grade for time fillers. I bring a book to read after class since I stay until 3:00. For upper grades I'll bring something to work on while the students are working independently. It doesn't sound like much but my bag can get heavy. I also have my purse and lunch.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 05-20-2020, 11:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I imagine we wonít be allowed to bring in anything like this if we go back, which I still doubt.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

ChessandCheck

why
Old 05-21-2020, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

why would they not allow us to bring stuff? people breathing/coughing on each other is a bigger risk than people touching stuff, and kids have zero business touching my stuff.

i carry too much probably and get neckaches for it, but i don't like not having something i need/want. already carry too much stuff in my purse as it is, but i also carry a heavy duty messenger bag. the bag itself is part of the problem (thick, waxed canvas), but at least i don't have to worry about it getting torn up or being too fragile to toss on filthy floors. which reminds me, i've already gotten two terrible scratches on my leather purse from shoving it under teacher desks, because some of them have sharp metal edges.

in my messenger bag, i carry a composition notebook to write anything for myself. i write all notes of any kind, work out problems, and often keep resources like periodic tables, student assignments i have completed and use to check kids'work. i have a folder with blank paper to neatly recopy notes to teachers, and rarely to give to kids who need it. (generally speaking, my philosophy is that it's not my job to provide any supplies to kids; i can't afford to give them stuff only to watch them waste or destroy it.). several pens and a pencil and highlighter for myself. depending on time of year and class, maybe a paperback/kindle, maybe academic papers or a textbook of my own. lots of tissues, hand sanitizer and wipes. often a heavy sweater because i hate freezing in crazy ac. a large bottle of water, a snack in case i get shaky and have last lunch (which can be close to 2pm at a hs assignment), my lunch container after lunch.

basically, everything i'm carrying is for me, not for the kids, not for the teachers. i do not use anything that's not mine except binder clips and white board markers, and usually a copy of the assignment if there is an extra. this job doesn't pay well enough for me to provide supplies to anyone.

eta - i will occasionally use a few post-its to label/separate classwork, only for teachers who have multiple assignments in multiple classes and seem to be super-organized (and therefore expect that of me). i'm fine to simply stack stuff at right angles or tear strips of my own paper if need be. but yeah, i guess i sometimes use post-its if they appear to be left for my use next to assignments/materials. i really try to avoid using anything or moving anything. it's not my room or my stuff.

edited again to add �� - i don't have any useful websites. i read this and sometimes r/substituteteach, mostly to commiserate. i see this job as being able to handle whatever comes up and think on my feet and talk to kids. i never have time or feel a need to come up with my own assignments, so i don't carry anything like worksheets or resources. i work in title 1 schools and consider it a win if i can get kids to do what's left for them by the teacher; i certainly don't need to add to that.

Last edited by ChessandCheck; 05-21-2020 at 08:57 AM..
ChessandCheck is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 05-21-2020, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I mean, I don’t think there’s any way we go back, but if we do I think schools will be very strict about what we carry into a classroom. We usually get a binder and keys and the lesson plans are left by the teacher. I’m thinking they are going to try to digitize everything now. I think they’ll try to limit what we bring in as well so people don’t touch it. I’m not sure what they’ll do with lunches. I think the days of bringing in your own materials to hand out if you need emergency plans are over. I think they will be way more strict about making teachers have emergency plans with materials ready to go, or office staff will be made to do it instead of us.

broomrider

chessandcheck
Old 05-21-2020, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I hadn't thought about not bringing things into classrooms, but that could happen. The virus can last up to a week on fabric and people do cough and sneeze around teacher's bags and belongings.

Now I'm wondering if teachers might be changing something over their clothes to go from room to room in schools. That will certainly cause another PPE shortage.

At the least, I'd be planning on a dedicated set of clothes in school and change before going home as a precaution. I'd walk in the house and put the school clothes in the washer. I bet pretty scrubs will become a fashion must in schools.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 05-21-2020, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think they’ll prolly even be strict about lunches. This is why going back is so ridiculous. 66 schools in South Korea had to close because two students came to school and were infected. They are able to trace it to a karaoke bar( as they have contact tracing) as there in an outbreak in the nightclub district. They are taking temps with thermometers and using thermal scans and have partitions in the cafeteria. They closed hours into the school day and they have Ppe and desks are far apart. Long way of saying we won’t have any of that stuff. If we open schools in the fall it will be a disaster. Honesty, I don’t think they are going to want subs unless they know where you have been. I think this profession is dead.

ChessandCheck

fractured
Old 05-21-2020, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

if it comes that, i will quit. the notes i take help me to remember what i need to do, what i need to tell teachers and admin, and they cover my rear if anyone questions anything after the fact.

i'm not going to not take water, tissues, sanitizer, tampons, migraine meds, a sweater or anything else i typically carry. it's not like i have time between classes to run to my car if i need something.

i'm not handing out anything a teacher didn't leave. but i'm not going to spend 8 or 9 hours without access to anything i need to get through the day.
ChessandCheck is online now   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 05-21-2020, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

For the last 18 years, I have brought nothing other than my breakfast and coffee, and sometimes lunch.
My first few years I would go to the library to check out books every couple weeks, and I would make copies of dittos collected from various classrooms to have in an emergency. But since I rarely used any of this stuff, I now come with nothing.

I should bring my own bottled water though. I hate going into a portable on a hot day with no drinking fountain when I an dying of thirst with no water.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 05-21-2020, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'd bring a mask, sanitizer, gloves, and a carefully sealed lunch.

Hypothetical supplies list of course.

Last edited by subasaurus; 05-21-2020 at 05:22 PM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 05-22-2020, 01:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

broomrider:

Quote:
I didn't feel like an idiot, rather felt intelligent.
loved this!

https://teachers.net/mentors/substitute_teaching/

My list includes:
a small lunch (extra cuties, protein bars just in case)
chap stick, sunglasses, a couple of business cards with my sub contact information (because subbing is my business ) A couple of alcohol prep pads, a small hand sanitizer, small tissue packet, band-aids, extra pens, travel size fragrance free lotion bottle, sanitary napkins (yes, I have been asked for those), a safety pin, an extra hair tie, a travel size mouthwash bottle, my sweater,

I work quite a bit with med fragile students so I've learned to carry a pair of latex gloves,

I wouldn't care how I looked as long as I was comfortable too, I don't want shoulder pain. I've seen other subs and teachers use rolling backpacks.
Sweetsunset is online now   Reply With Quote

Learn Today

Old 05-22-2020, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have a bag that I have treats and coloring sheets in case their are no plans. I'm an elementary sub.
Learn Today is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 05-22-2020, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I take my purse, my lunch bag, big bottle of iced tea, and my tablet (fits in my purse) for reading material if I end up with down time. We have an older sub who looks like a pack mule when she arrives. She brings her purse, big lunch cooler, and a rolling bag with craft supplies that she uses almost all day. The rolling bag definitely causes some side-eye looks in her direction and adds to the notion that the sub will be doing nothing all day. Justified in this case because I have seen her and heard from others that she basically tells the kids to check the teacher's school page, and then she sits down with her coloring pencils and knitting.

We have a couple of older male subs, and I wish they would carry a small bag to discreetly conceal the large library book that they bring to read all day.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 05-22-2020, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I bring my lunch, water, coffee a little snack, a pencil pouch and a combo key ring ID case with a credit card and a few dollars in it. I usually have a book on my phone for DEAR time. I have two tote bags I switch off, leather for winter Vera Bradley for spring. If Iím doing a long term elementary position. I will bring puzzles, mandalas for coloring etc. and a read aloud for end of day. Iím not really very confident our services are going to be needed next year. I have already told DH i will only be going to my 3 regular schools if they call.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Coffee368

Old 05-22-2020, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I carried the standard supplies for me (post-its, dry-erase markers, highlighter, paper clips). If the teacher had these out on the desk, I would use the teacherís paperclips and such to keep classwork tidy; I only used my supplies if these things werenít out where I could see them. Iím not a fan of going through a teacherís stuff myself, even for legitimate reasons. Iíd feel weird doing that; I donít know.

I also have a story-telling card game. To play correctly, players would play a Ďcharacter,í Ďplotí or Ďthemeí card from their hand, adding details to the story other players have made so far. Thereís a bit more to it, but I figure I can adjust the rules to fit the age group. Or use certain plot or theme cards as simple writing prompts or something. Iíve never needed to use it yet, but I felt better having some sort of activity, if needed.

And a water bottle. Iíve always felt I could make it through the day if I forgot everything or lost the bag or something, as long as I still had the water bottle.
Coffee368 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 05-25-2020, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I carry a backpack to school. I look like the students except 50 years older. It has my lunch, extra protein bars, a large insulated coffee mug in an outside pocket, notebook, pens, a Kindle, a fleece for cold classrooms, aspirin and/or Tylenol, white board markers, chalk, whistle for gym class, etc. I also carried sunglasses and sunscreen if I might have to go outside early or late in the year. One case of sunburn is enough.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 05-27-2020, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

As an art sub, I carry too much around, and the kids would share the materials. That's out. And I don't know that I want to bring out of a classroom any material except handwashing stuff once I am out the door.
I would go into maybe 8 classroom a day.
Maybe that will change too.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 05-29-2020, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

The whole thing is so crazy and sad
Iím 71 so I need to think long and hard on going back to subbing even though I feel pretty good.
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote