Help

Substitute Teachers

Here's the plan at this moment in time

>

northcalsub

Here's the plan at this moment in time
Old 06-19-2020, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district just put out these parameters for this coming year. Tk-3 will be in class 2 days a week and 3 days distance learning. 4-5 will be more days in but also distance learning, did not specify the days in at this time. 6-12 all are to be distance learning. Temps to be taken, no lunches from home, all students and staff to wear masks. I'm doubtful there will be many jobs and we have a large district 3 high schools, 6 middle, 17 elementary and 3 charter schools. I cannot wear a mask all day, nor do I want to enforce it with students. My children if they were in school right now would not be returning to wear a mask in classroom, no way.

northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

In Cali
Old 06-19-2020, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
6-12 all are to be distance learning??
Oh my goodness . There will be no sub assignments for upper grades .

I'm so sorry to hear this,

I worry that the school district I work for will follow suit.
Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-19-2020, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yeah, I think this profession is over for the mid and high school crowd until there is a vaccine.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-19-2020, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know. If there are regularly scheduled virtual meetings and a teacher is sick, they are still going to need someone to handle those meetings. Just canceling them won't work. I can see if they have planned time off, they can make videos to teach content, but if they wake up sick... The content still needs covered. Right?

In our district that requires some changes, still. We need subs who can handle tech in some manner. They need to be able to log into devices, so they need district emails and log ins. They need tech available to log in. Teachers would have to give them access to google classrooms or whatever LMS is being used.

Definitely changes, but subs will still be needed. Not if it is handled slap happy like this year - where we didn't take grades, teach new content or have any student requirements. However, if it counts as an educational experience, time is money.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

In Cali
Old 06-19-2020, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Fractured: I fear so.

Quote:
Yeah, I think this profession is over for the mid and high school crowd until there is a vaccine.

kahluablast:
Quote:
We need subs who can handle tech in some manner

kahluablast: Thank you for your input. If districts do not train subs on how to manage online classrooms, Do you have any suggestions as to how sub teachers can increase their tech skills- specifically for online educational platforms?

Maybe learning the school's online educational platform would be a start, but the problem is that I as a sub teacher don't get access to it. My school district uses Schoology by the way.

I would be anxious to be just thrown in an online educational classroom without being trained how to navigate it. I would want to be at least ten steps ahead of students if possible.

Shall we call our districts and see how they can assist us in this? Thank you.

kahluablast

Old 06-20-2020, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Access is definitely an issue, no doubt. If I were in charge of districts, subs would have email accounts and would have access to the same training that teachers have. In my district we have not had for a training on anything other than district mandated programs. Even then for the most part it is hit and miss what we get. One person attends a training, then shares it with the rest. Sometimes it is in a half hour training session and sometimes via email. Not the most effective. Most of what teachers know is due to their own initiative.

If your school uses specific platforms, I would search out my own education. Since March especially, there have been a great number of videos and tutorials for using about anything imaginable.

I donít think short term subs will need to know everything teachers use, but getting into a platform and knowing your way around certainly will benefit you.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Thank you for your advice.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

kahluablas:

Quote:
If I were in charge of districts, subs would have email accounts and would have access to the same training that teachers have

Last October, my district held a two day Active Shooter Response Training for teachers, aides and school staff to attend. All I've seen are the lock-down levels and somewhat procedures posted in the classroom. Substitute teachers were not invited. Unfortunately, I've experienced all levels of lock-downs and gained experienced from them that way.

Yes, I'm going to take your advice and do some research on my own. I would welcome that experience and challenge come Fall semester if my district chooses to go either Hybrid or Full Remote route. Thank you for your advise.

northcalsub

Old 06-20-2020, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My question is we were out of school since Mach 13. Everyone I have talked to that I know as full time subs, went to unemployment. In the lock down of the district did not one teacher get sick, or was unable to work at that time. I think what may have happened is the other teachers in that grade level probably took on the assignments. This makes me think that if you we went to our standard way of doing things, get called in the morning, how do we even get an assignment and be ready for students if they are learning remotely, as we know we will not be trained. I think the only jobs we may get are those that are in actual classroom for the day, what ever that works out to be.
northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 06-20-2020, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi northcalsub,

Who knows what will will happen come Fall semester right? I know one of my districts has still to confirm their plans for opening. All we can do is be prepared.

For example, what if they do go Hybrid, and the classrooms' day's lesson calls for all students to participate- those at home would log in during their period schedule and a teacher/sub would project the learning platform site from a screen so that the student that are inside the classroom can see their classmates, they could go into breakout rooms for a Think-Pair-Share time activity using their ipads, chromebooks etc.

That is one learning activity possibility that I can think, of out of a few that would give all students the opportunity to interact with their peers. We would need to know how to break them out into groups or access the online platform used. Like I said, it's just and idea.

I am not sure if moving forward, teachers would welcome taking another teacher's daily class load. I think when the schools shut down in March, teacher's were just trying to make it work and thereby- end the school year as successful as they could given the resources and circumstances, there was no need for subs at the time.

We shall hope for the best this coming school year, and may there be an abundance of assignments for all of us. I have to try to stay positive...lol, I work everyday of the skl year and need that sense of Hope. Peace.

Aillya

Old 06-21-2020, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Love how they gave a letter of assurance and then basically gutted the next year.

Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 06-21-2020, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't see subs taking over online classes if the the teacher is sick.

The teacher will probably just give the students some type of review assignment, like teachers used to give the subs, in the classroom, to give the students. At least in the upper grades. Elementary has always been a whole different world, to me.

The school doesn't have to cover an entire day, like before. Just a short time. I'm not going to hassle with learning online stuff. I think it would have been smart to include us in the training, but since they didn't, I'm not going to bust my butt for something I probably won't even need. They can explain it to me, at the time, if it gets to that.

Possibly have a different teacher do the class, if elementary.

Or they will just postpone it.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote