Substitute Teachers

Missing unemployment payment (CA)

>

UnemployedSub

Missing unemployment payment (CA)
Old 06-16-2020, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,
On Sunday, I went online to certify weeks ending 6/6 and 6/13. Yesterday, I saw that I was only got paid for week of 6/6. Payment for week ending 6/13 states, "Pending" with no explanation as to why.

Has anyone in CA received payment for week of 6/13? Perhaps the school district cut me off because school ended 6/12?

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else in CA? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Hope you all are staying well. Thanks!

UnemployedSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 06-17-2020, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Same thing here! I checked and the wrong amount of tax is withheld also! I sent an email asking about the discrepancy, since i don't have the whole day to sit on the phone. I don't even have a pending on the week of 6/13. Who knows whats going on. School ended 2 weeks ago here so i don't think that is the problem since I applied in March- before the school year ended and can still receive benefits through the summer.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

northcalsub

Don't know if will help
Old 06-17-2020, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I certified by mail on Sunday 14, mailed 15th. These were for weeks ending 6th and 13th. I just checked with the online in my inbox and also the certify tab. It said they had received the paperwork and to check back 6/28 for next date of certification. I assume I will be paid, buort anything in California the great well fare state is possible. It may catch up to me and I will have to pay it back. Our last day was 6/5. I have always worked 5 days a week. I thought today, there are those who only sub one or two days a month. I guess they got paid the full amount just as I and a lot of other hard working subs. Just a thought. Life's a riot these days....
northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 06-19-2020, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, one mystery has been solved. I got a strange amount because I was honest and told them I didnít look for work for 3 days because I had oral surgery, and they deducted money for the 3 days. Whatever.

Sublime

Old 06-19-2020, 10:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Tapdancesub: So strange, because I am also in CA and the form I get in the mail says that I do not have to be looking for work. I check it each time I receive it in the mail. Even though I get the mailed form, I recertify on-line, where it does not state that. I answer that I have not been looking and it has not affected my payment.

Now I'm interested in seeing if I get paid for 2 weeks the next time I recertify. It could be all over for us!

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Recertifiy
Old 06-20-2020, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have to recertify for the last two weeks tomorrow, the school district I work in the most had school in session through yesterday, so I should get paid for the last two weeks for sure and then moving forward we will see what happens. I have not had to look for a job as a requirement. It seems to me more and more like employment in the fall is VERY tenuous, so I pretty much think we should be able to stay on unemployment, because I’m not sure there’s going to be jobs and, if there are, I think there are going to be few. One of my districtS isn’t even listed on Absence Management anymore so I have sent them an email questioning that.

Last edited by CC96; 06-20-2020 at 09:29 AM..
CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Sublime...
Old 06-20-2020, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The notice I got in the mail specifically said I was docked because of the 3 days I was out because of the surgery.

Sirsubalot

Old 06-21-2020, 12:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just re-certified for the two weeks ending 6/20/20, and under payment activity it says $0.00 are pending for these two weeks.

I am afraid this means they ended my claim since the last day of school would have been June 5.

If so, this is unfair since we still do not know if and when we are returning, despite the assurance to return to work forms.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Historylov

Old 06-21-2020, 01:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It really is unfair. I recertified last week and the 2nd week is still "pending". I need to call EDD on Monday, I'm afraid to hear what they have to say
Historylov is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-21-2020, 02:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I know every state is different, but this is what Iím hearing, which is different things from a fb group unemployment in my state Iím on. Someone claims we canít go through PUA( the self employed/ if you were unemployed when covid hit) that guaranteed you the cares act money.
As we have reasonable assurance, they have to arbitrate it. I have never heard heard of arbitration for unemployment but I guess it might exist.

I have contacted my district to see if they are denying my claim. I have it in writing that they would not, but they might not want to go into the summer. Even if we lose our base amount, we should still be getting the 600 a week that goes until the end of July. Either way I will be contacting my union, and then the NEA. Even if we qualify for PUA, it could take weeks or months to get this money. As far as I see it, we are entitled to it. I will start another post when I know anything, but I doubt that will be until Tuesday. Itís obvious that this is going to happen to all of us, so if you are in a union, the NEA or any kind of organization, I would suggest writing to them and seeing what they tell you.

Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 06-21-2020, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have no union.

Since the pending payment for the next two weeks says $0.00 instead of $962 per week, it appears that EDD knows we do not get paid in the summer. This is a huge smack in the face since I was expecting an additional $8000 I will likely not get.

What I am wondering is whether EDD already knew we do not qualify for summer benefits and ended them on its own, or did they get a reminder from the districts to stop paying us?
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

UnemployedSub

response to Sirsubalot
Old 06-21-2020, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yes, I wondered the same. Did the school district tell EDD to stop payments because of summer break, or does EDD automatically stop payments on their own? Either way, I sadly think the end of UEI is over for me, and maybe other CA subs.

Please see my follow up post on Missing Unemployment Payment CA Part 2.
It will tell you EDD's reply to my inquiry regarding "pending" payment.
UnemployedSub is offline   Reply With Quote