Help

Substitute Teachers

Missing unemployment payment (CA) Part 2

>

UnemployedSub

Missing unemployment payment (CA) Part 2
Old 06-20-2020, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is a continuation of my original post from earlier this week inquiring if anyone else had missed an unemployment payment.

I just received an email from EDD... "The EDD has scheduled you to a telephone interview to resolve a school employee issue of eligibility for the summer recess."

I have not received the letter with the day & time of telephone interview, but I sense that this is the end of the payments for me. However, I do think I should still get paid for week ending 6/13 since school did not end until 6/12. Am I correct in my assumption?

Best of luck to all of you. I hope your school districts or Unemployment offices allow you to continue receiving payments, esp since there is the extra $600 federal money tacked onto it.

UnemployedSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Historylov

Yikes!
Old 06-21-2020, 01:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really hope that isnt the case. I am in California too. I was only paid for 1 week instead of 2 as well. I was hoping it was just a glitch and the "pending" message would turn to "paid" soon. If you dont mind me asking, how did you get a phone interview? I havent gotten an email or anything.
Historylov is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 06-21-2020, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's disappointing to hear, though not unexpected. I just recertified today for 6/7 - 6/20.

If I get a phone interview I am going to ask if I can reopen the claim if students do not return to school in August.

Please keep us updated and thanks for the info.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 06-21-2020, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just checked my UI inbox, nothing yet. The decision for how 2020/2021 is going to look is supposed to be made public in my district on June 30. Discontinuing our payments is not unexpected, at least with the Federal money I am whole for the work I had booked out til the end of the school year and the potential days I could have worked. If we go back to remote learning, I just refile and collect whatever they will give me. Time to explore other options.

Last edited by Tapdancesub; 06-21-2020 at 11:57 AM..
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

UnemployedSub

Pending payment
Old 06-21-2020, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

After 3 days, the "pending" message was still there so I sent an email to them through the "Contact Us" link at the upper right side of the home page.

The following is their entire response to me regarding the phone interview:
Quote:
" The EDD has scheduled you to a telephone interview to resolve a school employee issue of eligibility for the summer recess. Interviews are conducted by phone within the date and time frame stated on the Notification of UI Benefits Eligibility Interview, DE4800 mailed to you. Should the interviewer call and find you not available, the decision regarding your eligibility will be based on the information available to the Department. The Caller ID will display as "PRIVATE," so please be sure to answer your telephone during the specified time. You may be asked to call _____, or an alternate phone number may be left by the interviewer. The EDD interviewers have 10 days after the telephone interview to determine your eligibility. All checks/benefits will be delayed until a Determination decision has been made by the Department. A Notice of Determination (DE 1080) may be mailed to you when that decision is reached. Appeals may be filed within twenty (20) days of the issuance date if you are not satisfied with the decision. If the Department finds you eligible, benefit payments will be processed for all certified eligible weeks. Please allow 7-10 days for mailing benefit checks."

Sweetsunset

In Cali
Old 06-21-2020, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sorry to hear that UnemployedSub. I hope you resolve their concern to your benefit.

What I do not understand is that at least in CA the following applies for school employees including subs when applying for UI benefits:

You are a school employee if you work for a public or private, nonprofit school employer. You are a school supportive employee if you work for a nonprofit or public employer that provides services to, or on behalf of, a school employer. You may not be eligible to receive benefits based on wages earned if all of the following occur:
The key phrase here is IF ALL of the following occurred; not if only one of them occurred. I would site and question CA EDD on this if I get an interview appointment.

We should be allowed to certify at least until the $600 CARES program ends; gosh, we deserve it, we support our schools as demand warrants- daily in my case. It is going back in some way shape or form into the community/economy anyways.
Hopefully an interview with EDD is just a formality and just need our defense as to why we know we still qualify for UI benefits - hint; given their own requirements.

With that said, if for some reason we do in fact get blocked for summer assistance, I hope that our school districts do not block our refile for UI claims come this Fall semester if there are shortage of assignments, which sadly- there will be.

I just certify for the past two weeks. Let's see what happens. Sorry for my TED talk... lol, Peace.
Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Sweetsunset
Old 06-21-2020, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just printed that out, in case I get a call. I’m going to be prepared.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

In Cali
Old 06-21-2020, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Tapdancesub: , yes

Sirsubalot

Old 06-21-2020, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was allowed to re-certify, but when I click on " claim history" I see the amount pending is $0.00. for June 7 to June 20

There is another option to click on, but this option just has the weeks from June 7 to June 20 missing.

It is obvious I will get no more checks.

I have not been offered a phone interview.

if we are allowed to continue our claims later it will be without the government stimulus.

If I knew this in advance, I would have sent in my sick pay request due on June 15.

Now I lost out on $250 of sick pay.

I guess collecting an additional $8,000 through the end of July was just too good to be true.

I sure wish I knew whether the districts had a hand in this. EDD is ostensibly too busy to answer the phones here in CA, so they direct you to have questions answered on line.

Because they are too busy, it is probable that with all the hundreds of districts in CA, that some reminded them that we are not supposed to collect in the summer.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 06-21-2020, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Sirsubalot:

I certified a few hrs ago, and it said pending at the time and it still says Pending when I check right now. That is the same message that I get when I certify, it doesn't change to PAID automatically. (My experiences).

Last time I certified, it took two days for it to change from Pending to Paid, then another day to hit my BoA UI account. Let's be patient and optimistic ok. I will keep you posted on when it changes if you'd like.

(If by chance, they want their money back- I have it saved up, but I will continue to certify). My skl let out back in May.

Just my two cents on my understanding of all of this.

Sirsubalot

Old 06-22-2020, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Up until this period, the word " pending" was accompanied by $962 per week that was pending.

Now, nothing is pending. If $0.00 is the amount pending, then nothing is pending, so I will receive nothing.

I just sent in the paper re-certification as a back up, and I also contacted EDD on line explaining that I have nothing pending, and asked if i would still get a check.

I also added that it is not certain whether we will have a job in August.

Nevertheless, I am quite certain I will get no more UI.

Last edited by Sirsubalot; 06-22-2020 at 07:42 AM..

UnemployedSub

Sirsubalot
Old 06-22-2020, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Please let us know what you hear from EDD regarding your email asking if you would receive a check.

Meanwhile, I am still waiting for the letter with the phone call time from EDD.

I concur with you that I am afraid this is the end of UI for us.

Historylov

Old 06-22-2020, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I guess if we have reasonable assurance that we will return in the fall then we dont get paid. I just got off the phone with my districts HR department and asked even though we were given a letter they are uncertain of our return, say what? Then why send out the letter?! I'm so upset
Historylov is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

In Cali
Old 06-22-2020, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Sirsubalot:

With all due respect,

On the Claim History page where it says
Current Authorized Amount;

Could it be that the zero amount is because the amount is still in Pending Status so therefore the amount has not been Authorized yet?

On my end, I've taken screenshots of the Pending and Paid status on my Claim History page and I have zero amount when it is Pending. Once it changes to Paid Status, then I see the dollar amount under Current Authorized Amount.

Maybe we get different screens even though we are both in CA, plus we each have our individual experiences with EDD and the UI page. Know that I was just trying to help, and at the same time help myself as well in understanding our summer eligibility.
In any case, I hope that we are all eligible to continue to certify if we choose to do so. I hope you positively resolve your concern. Peace.

Sirsubalot

Old 06-22-2020, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

All previous certification weeks have always said $962 per week to accompany "pending". " Current authorized amount has also always said $962. The $962 had always appeared immediately after re-certifying under both columns. I have never seen $0.00 at any time until this week.

Also, when clicking on another option of which I forgot the icon, the weeks from 6/07 to 6/22 are missing. This has never happened before either.

I appreciate the optimism of SweetSunset, but all indications are that my claim is finished.

I might be able to resume the claim if we are not back to work, and I can convince EDD of this, but this will only be fore $362 per week.

If I am shocked with a check, I will admit I was wrong.

Sweetsunset

In Cali
Old 06-23-2020, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Sirsubalot,

I'm afraid we've been flagged. You were right, there was something going on with our Pending Status. I just wanted to really remain hopeful. I just don't get why EDD will not honor their own eligibility requirement for substitutes, we didn't apply during a break. And why would our own school districts not just allow us to continue claiming against our wages..there are no jobs out there for us, for anyone really. It's a shame.

CC96

So this just happened
Old 06-24-2020, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

So I emailed EDD this morning because my claim for the past two weeks was still pending and if we were working I would’ve been working those two weeks because my districts were still in session. So then about a half an hour ago I got a call from a number that said no caller ID and they left a voicemail —it was a lady saying she needs to do a phone interview and will contact me tomorrow morning. So my question is this, for those of you who have gotten called by EDD is it typically a private no caller ID number? Thanks
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

CAsubteacher

Any luck with summer pay?
Old 06-28-2020, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hi,
Just wondering if you spoke with EDD about summer pay for subs? I'm in pending status and been pending for over a week. I'm hoping we get paid over summer break.

Also, I found this on the edd website. According to this, it seems like we only need to qualify for one of the items listed below. In my reassurance letter, it says that I may be called in over summer break. I am going to bring this up if I can get an interview from edd..fingers crossed

Last edited by CAsubteacher; 06-28-2020 at 11:42 AM..
CAsubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote