Help

Substitute Teachers

Who will return to subbing in the fall?

>

ElemEd

Who will return to subbing in the fall?
Old 06-13-2020, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am undecided myself. Mulling things over. Entering many different schools (11 elementary schools in my district) and many different classrooms exposes us to so many more people than a usual job would. Is the risk worth it? I do enjoy subbing a lot. I love to spend the day with kids, and I love the school culture. People have suggested online teaching of various sorts, but that wouldn't fulfill the social function that subbing has for me, and that is actually more important to me than the money. Hmm-mm, thoughts to share?

ElemEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Not at the moment
Old 06-13-2020, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't plan to go back right now, as my husband is in a higher medical risk category. Thankfully, he works from home, but I can't justify the wide exposure level of subbing when we don't really need my income.

If I do want to work again, I expect there will tutoring positions available (a family or two who don't want to send their kids back, but need help with some subjects) - which would be a much smaller expose circle.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Frustrated Parents
Old 06-13-2020, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I looked at the summary (?) of the last school board meeting. There were multiple emails from frustrated parents. Apparently, the parents are as much in the dark as the subs are. I, too, noticed that the ONLY info we were given was that they were hoping to have students in class, and a school start date.

It feels like they are acting like everything is normal. They even published the school calendar for next year.

The parents were talking about how they are going to have to make major changes, so they need to know what is going on. They said that even if they don't know for sure, what is going to happen, they want to be in the loop about what discussions are taking place. They said some of the teachers had mentioned that discussions were happening, but nothing set in stone.

I don't blame them. I can see how keeping parents (and possibly subs) in the loop has a small chance of causing some confusion, I think it needs to happen.

One parent said she was considering putting her kids in a charter school.

In a slightly embarrassing and macabe way I was glad to learn that it isn't just subs being kept in the dark.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn Today

Old 06-13-2020, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I will but only to the school I retired from.
Learn Today is offline   Reply With Quote

northcalsub

my problem
Old 06-13-2020, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am considering going into middle school and high school only. If they go through with smaller classes, and spacing of students in these classes. I feel like with the older kids there is just one group, they leave and it is the next group of students. I won't have yard duty, worry about lines and spacing,and I won't have to deal with any pe, that is a 20 minute requirement every day in our school district for grades 1-5. I have also heard and read that lunch may also be inside the classroom. It is just too many changes for me after all these years. Let me just say I prefer k-2, but I know how hard it is in just normal circumstances. I also feel like if a mask is required it might be easier in the upper grades, this would be in regards to myself. I can literally just write the assignment, give a little direction and they can choose to work or not. I am am not going to hasel students about masks. I feel those age groups,will be easier for me under the currently being laid out by our state board of educations guideline for school districts. I am in California.

'

northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-14-2020, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I only do high school, but might have to do middle school Iím trying to find full time teaching jobs but there is basically nothing out there.

I will only go back if people are wearing masks and they have sanitizer and they are social distancing. I am thinking with where we will be at with the deaths by early sept(150k to 200k) and superintendents saying there is no way they can open up and follow the cdc guidelines without federal govt aid, that most large school districts will just not bother opening and keep doing distance learning.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 06-14-2020, 10:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Like fractured mentioned, there better be masks and sanitizer used by everyone.

I'll go back if they decide to open. Middle and high school only. With a mask on.

I'm not fully optimistic schools will reopen, it could be too risky. We will see.

Strange dystopian times we're living in.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 06-15-2020, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Iím only going back to the 3 elementary schools I regularly cover. Iíll give it a try. I had a principal email me last week to ask if I was still interested in subbing, she wants to try to contain the number of unknown people at the school. Iím just going to take it day by day. DS graduated from college this weekend so we would be fine without the income, but I still like the job and the flexibility. Prior to the pandemic, my schools had been well stocked with wipes and hand sanitizer. I think the distancing and having to eat in the classroom are what is giving me pause, its going to be a long day without a break from the kiddos.
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 06-15-2020, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'll go back to the school I subbed for last year. I hate wearing masks and hope they don't require it. I'll do it if I have to.

ElemEd

Thank you for all of the replies.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I see lots of you are as undecided as I am, and considering how and if to go back. This morning I read a draft of the recommendations that our state ed dept will send out to districts. It leaves a lot up to local authorities to make decisions for their circumstances, but advises some (or all) at home learning via computer, as well as some in person, with distancing, and presumably smaller class sizes. Teachers would do one or the other, not both. That might make the job more doable. Nothing is decided yet, though. I'll have to wait and see.

ElemEd is offline   Reply With Quote

ChessandCheck

still not sure
Old 06-17-2020, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

i honestly don't know. i just saw plans that my district is considering, which look like a hybrid model. the thing is, a lot of students at my main school are not super well-behaved on the best of days, i really can't imagine that some kids are going to keep their distance, hands clean and masks on. i also don't know how much work will be available - i do sped/bmc/ell stuff, and it sounds like those kids would be there full time. on the other hand, i do a lot of coverage for pd and for ard meetings - pd will go online, ard meetings likely as well.

i don't know what my other options are. i need income, but i'm in school and i am a single parent, so sub flexibility is important to me. but will there be enough work? will i be able to work safely? will school admin support me in ensuring my health and the health of students in my classes better than they typically do (where, short of physical fights, i'm on my own)?

we all know kids are worse for us. do you think bored, socially distanced kids are actually going to maintain protocols in class with us, when they can't even... not be totally bonkers with us on a normal day? i don't have high hopes about it. i think going back is gambling.

i'm probably going to gamble, because i'm not sure i have a choice here. i also considered applying to be a sped aid, where i would have guaranteed work, but i would be guaranteed contact and lose flexibility.

honestly, i have mostly tried to keep my head on my classes and just see what happens closer to fall.

edited to add - i mostly sub title 1 middle school.
ChessandCheck is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 06-17-2020, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our job might even be a lot easier if they cut the number of students in half. Of course, making them keep their masks on, all the time, might make up for that.

I thought of something to look into. I'm thinking of looking into being a CACAS person. I think it stands for "Court appointed child advocate.". I don't know if it pays anything, but I'm really wanting to get into something where I make more of a difference, especially since the school I work at didn't hire me for the job I applied for.

I'm certainly not going above and beyond, anymore, and it feels like a slap in the face. I thought it was worth looking into, anyway...

I saw a 6th grader a couple of days ago, and I asked him how the online stuff is going, and he said, "Good, it's actually a lot easier.". I was glad he had a positive attitude about it. I still worry about the students getting behind.

bodhimom

Old 06-17-2020, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I also noticed that my district says that students will have to have their temperatures, every day, without contact. I wonder if we're going to have to do that? It didn't say WHO would be taking temps. I wish they would tell us more so we don't feel so in the dark.

DeaconZooks

I want to but I am 61.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am a retired teacher in MA subbing at the HS I retired from. I really enjoy 2 or 3 days a week and the income improves my financial outlook. But I am very conflicted at age 61. I'm relatively healthy, but not as sound as I was during my teaching career. Losing my subbing job hit me hard, as I am well known to the kids and the teachers treat me with great respect and affection. It looks like I will be doing more for the family elders, and that takes precedence over working. I can't do anything that increases my risk of becoming a carrier of the virus, and going to school will increase my risk to exposure. I may have to skip next year, stay on the inactive list, then reactivate for the 21-22 school year. The thought of missing next year absolutely sucks.

Thank you ElmEd for posting this. I think your question hits the core of the dilemma I suspect many subs in my situation are facing. Good job.
DeaconZooks is offline   Reply With Quote

TheMercenary

Old 06-18-2020, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Our Michigan Governor has just announced school will open in the fall, but the details of how won't be out until June 30. I am conflicted about returning - not so young anymore, and my husband is high risk. My perfect picture is REAL CONSEQUENCES for kids' non-compliance with the new rules, i.e., automatic call home. I don't delude myself that this will happen.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote

ChessandCheck

TheMerc
Old 06-18-2020, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

i like your thinking. i think maybe one phone call, and after that you don't come back for a week or something (for older kids). you wanna come to school? play by the rules.

at this point, kids have been home/away from each other so much that's a consequence they might actually prefer to avoid.

Last edited by ChessandCheck; 06-18-2020 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: typo
ChessandCheck is offline   Reply With Quote

TheMercenary

ChessandCheck
Old 06-18-2020, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I agree. But if they defy the rules more than once, I would put them out for good. (If it were up to me, in a perfect world).
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 06-18-2020, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

At this point subbing is my back up plan having decided to look outside of education for employment over Christmas break 2019; then this covid 19 hit and all I can find are temp jobs for covid 19 coverage. Sure $20.00/hour doing customer service remotely over the phone is great until I find myself unemployed because the "crisis" is over.

I got another batch of "thanks, but no thanks" emails from a district where I sub. I always get greeted by the principals and staff, but when it comes time to hire it's always someone younger, generally female. So much for "diversity and inclusion" in this district. It's hard to hit a home run when you never get up to bat.

Many of the districts where I sub are asking subs if they will be returning in the fall, I think that they are trying to figure out how much of a sub shortage they might have. Two of my better districts have joined forces to share subs, might be some competition for jobs here. The larger district (mentioned above) has, generally, no trouble getting subs while the smaller one does and has gone to building subs to fill in the gaps.

My home district, the one I live in, tends to view subs with suspicion for some reason. All conversation stops when a sub enters the teacher lunch room to quietly resume a few minutes later. It's weird. But, many of the schools are close to home and the students are usually well behaved.

I think I may focus my efforts on the two schools that have partnered, more so the smaller one, and my home district. I'll likely avoid the two districts closer to the city, especially the one where parents send their sick children to school, and the district where I don't get much work.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 06-19-2020, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

ElemEd:

Quote:
I love to spend the day with kids, and I love the school culture.
I agree.

I plan to to return to subbing come Fall semester. I will be wearing a mask though. The district I work for is still mapping out opening plans. It has a set opening date of Aug 12. I am hoping for the best.
Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 06-28-2020, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

If other available options exist by then, I really don't want to go back. My plan since March has been to train for a job doing pretty much anything else, but it turns out it's hard to get hired when most work is shut down at the moment and I'm barred from leaving my house.

I don't see schools handling this well in August. I can see them making a big show about the safety procedures and then basically never enforcing anything and throwing subs under the bus for enforcing things the districts won't enforce themselves. I can see schools reopening after the U.S. suspends corona testing for 2 months and goes "wow look, the numbers went down, guess it's gone!" and then giving subs flack for showing up with a mask on. And when we get hit by wave 2, I can see them shutting down all over again with no notice and canceling thousands of dollars worth of jobs for me all over again while also sending me a letter to bar me from collecting unemployment over the summer.

The latter 2 things are what really did it for me, and are what really gives me a bad taste about going back. If I'm being completely honest. Things worked out in the end, thanks to the CARES act, but these people had NO way of knowing at the time that that would happen. With zero ####s given, they canceled 3 months worth of jobs that I had had lined up for months in advance, without even an email about it the entire time. Zero communication all the way through, despite years of hearing from them about how desperately they appreciate their subs because there just aren't that many of us left in this district. Well, now was the time to show it, and they literally gave every other district employee more care. And then, to top it off, the only letter I received from them was the assurance letter. Even though their current plan is basically up in the air but involves maybe gutting the current school year and only having physical classes one day a week. They still want to tell me that I should feel assured in my position, so no summer unemployment for me while I'm sat here literally fired. #### off.

Just about anything else pays more on an annual scale. And I still have the freedom to do other things. If I can help it, I'm not going back. I honestly got treated better while working with fast food for a living. But if August rolls around and no one's hiring, I'll wear a mask and just deal with it.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Old 06-28-2020, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Don't think at this point I have any option to return. I have subbed for 21 years and love the kids, even the difficult ones. But due to the reported new configurations for district schools I don't think that would be conducive to my needs and the risk to my health at my age.

I was relying on the EI to pay me the COVID-19 'bonus' through July but now that is gone. Probably try to live on Social Security. At my age hard to find other employment.

I'll miss the kids but with the virus situation I don't see schools returning to the 'old normal.' Health risk is another factor. The money was great but I will miss the mostly primary kids I subbed and the requests from those primary teachers I've built up over the years. Sad time, indeed. No one saw this coming just 3-4 months ago. Times change and time has caught up with me and others.
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 06-29-2020, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I just found out about a job in my subject area that is in no way related to education. It says it is full time, but temporary. I'm going to go ahead and apply.

I only signed up for a job search on indeed because I thought I had to be looking for a job to keep my unemployment. That's how I found out about the job. It pays $40 a day more than subbing ($25/hour) , but it will be probably three hours longer and a much longer drive, but I think I'm going to apply, anyway. I don't feel like I have a lot to lose, at this point.

I don't feel as much, if any, of a connection with my school ever since I applied for a teaching job, in the fall, and didn't get it (I only work at the one school where the job opened up at, and they still didn't hire me). At this point, subbing would be just a job, just a way to make money. Even though I'll miss the students, I won't miss those that didn't hire me. It's like a slap in the face. I have a feeling it is my age (I'm 53).

It will be nice to be able to use my degree knowledge, again, at least I hope I will be able to. Feels like a waste of 4 years at this point. I don't know much about the job. Didn't give much of a description, but I don't see much downside in taking it, unless it requires standing for long periods of time or something like that. Like I said, I AM 53 .

It says it is temporary, so maybe I can go back to subbing, afterward. With everything in the air and the normal chaos of subbing, this job is looking better and better.

Now I just have to NOT assume I got the job, like I did with the teaching job, and then feel so disappointed when I don't get it. You know what happens when we assume.

Like I said, I don't feel like I have much to lose at this time, except being able to take days off when I want to and pick who I sub for. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
sub89

sub89

other work besides subbing
Old 06-29-2020, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I have also been looking for other work during this time. I have had two interviews but I have heard nothing back. One interview was for a job outside of education and the other was for a paraprofessional job. I am out of practice when it comes to job searching. During my paraprofessional interview, I was asked what my teaching philosophy was and I just couldn't think of a fluent, concise answer. In short, I froze!
But I am very leary of relying on substitute work again.

BadKitty

Old 07-01-2020, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I will be, but I only ever sub at one school anyway. I already agreed to cover a medical leave this fall
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 07-01-2020, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Newsom just stopped indoor dining for 3 weeks in most of California, again. I don't think anyone knows what will happen in education.

I would have been stumped at that question, too. Sounds like a ridiculous question to throw on somebody, to me.