Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

child who cannot focus/sit still

>

emgirl

child who cannot focus/sit still
Old 01-06-2020, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a boy in my class who in all my years of teaching I have never seen a child this bad who just can't sit still/focus. I talked to his teacher last year and she said he needs to move constantly otherwise no other advice. I have tried different chairs, standing, put weight on his lap, sitting close to me, giving him breaks. He just struggles. It's gotten to the point that it is affecting his work. I have seen his reading and math skills go down dramatically. I have tried talking to his parents but they say he gets like this when he is bored. I talked to them at conference but they didn't give much input (just sat and nodded). I am really at a loss on how to help him now. I think mom and dad are in denial and don't want to admit there is an issue. The work I send home shows that he is not doing well.
I am not one of those people who always believes that a child needs meds to help them but there is no question in my mind that he has ADHD and would benefit from some help. I know I can't say anything about ADHD but any advice on how I can get mom and dad to see that he is struggling??? His mom does come and help so she sees how he is in class too and doesn't seemed concerned. She just tells him to do his work.

emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

applesaucencr

Old 02-23-2020, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would probably give him mini breaks during work time to do something physical and then get him back to work for another block of time. I will be honest, students who truly struggle with this even with breaks and redirection do best with meds. Many eventually go off as they mature and have better developed regulation skills and the maturity to implement compensatory strategies (though some need meds even as adults). I have also seen parents refuse meds as an intervention for students with that profile and it leads to huge gaps in skills in otherwise very capable students. It also leads to low self esteem due to poor academic performance and constantly needing redirection.
applesaucencr is offline   Reply With Quote

FarmWife4

Old 03-04-2020, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You could try setting a timer to get him to do 5 minutes of independent work. Start low and you can always add time once you figure out what amount of time he can work for. If he gets the work done in a given amount of time, then give him another set and set the timer again. Some kids see this as a game to beat the timer. You could also reduce the amount of work that he sees on his papers. Give him the same amount, just chop up the work so it's not as overwhelming.

I often hear from parents "Well he's just a boy!" That has to be the most frustrating comment. I think sometimes parents need to see that their child is failing classes to know that it is continuously a problem. This has to be the hardest thing for educators to do because we want to help all of our students so much, but at what point are we hurting the student by doing majority of their work holding their hand?
FarmWife4 is offline   Reply With Quote