Help

Third Grade

Creative Behavior Management Ideas

>

teachnbehappy

Creative Behavior Management Ideas
Old 07-17-2011, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will be my second year teaching and I'm really excited. Last year, I felt that I had a good solid behavior system. I did a "3 strikes and you're out" type of deal. This year I'm looking for something really creative to use as a plan. I'm trying to stay away from the typical flipping the card, strikes, or classroom economy ideas and just really do something different and effective. Any ideas would soooo be appreciated! Please and thank you

teachnbehappy is offline   Reply With Quote

MsMonkey

Responsive Classroom Approach
Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can't say that I have experience with it, because I've only just started reading about it this summer. However, it sounds like a very effective approach and it is not focused on the typical punishment and reward systems. Check out the website: http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/ or visit the Magnolia Room: http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...splay.php?f=58
MsMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Happy Knitter

Why?
Old 07-18-2011, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Please do not take this as me being critical because I'm not at all!! I'm just trying to give you some questions to reflect on. You don't even need to answer or reply.

1. If you had a good, solid system last year, why do you want something so drastically different this year? For me, I always tweak the things that worked well to make them even better, and then I spend my energy on totally revamping those areas that really need it. In fact, I try to pick only one or two things to really overhaul. I find if I try to start from scratch on everything, I do nothing well. When I choose one or two things to focus on, I can make huge improvements in those areas.

2. Why do you want to get away from the "typical" approaches? There's nothing wrong with a classroom economy. They can be very effective. (I do not use the economy approach, by the way). There's nothing wrong with wanting to do something different, but make sure you understand and can explain your rationale (not to me). There should be a solid reason why we do the things we do and make the decisions we make.

Good luck to you! I hope you have a wonderful year two. (By the way, I use a mix of different approaches. Win-Win discipline is a book I read last summer that really fits my philosophy, so I took a lot of things from it. I also use a lot of Whole Brain Teaching strategies.)
Happy Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnbehappy

Thanks for your feedback...
Old 07-20-2011, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I understand what you're saying. I just wanted a different type of discipline plan, the one from this past year worked well, but I just want something new. It's one of the only things I'm tweaking. It's also nice to see what other teachers use. Thank you for your feedback!
teachnbehappy is offline   Reply With Quote

lucybrown

Crazy but works
Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use sticky notes. Each child has a set of 5 sticky notes on their desk numbered 5 down to 1. If I have to speak to a child, they have to throw away a sticky note. Believe it or not, they DON'T want to do that! At the end of the day I can quickly walk around the room and record each child's "number." I made up a chart in Excel with each child's name, a column for each day of the week (in each day I have the numbers 1 2 3 4 5), and an area for notes to write any specific behavior issues. I circle the number that the child is on for the day. At the end of the week, I can average the points for a weekly behavior grade. If a child has lost a number each day (that means everyday a 4 is circled) then the average is 80%. That would be an S on our report card. The majority of my students receive E (excellent). They do whatever it takes to keep a sticky note. I've done this for four years.

Attached Files
File Type: xls Behavior chart.xls (19.0 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by lucybrown; 07-21-2011 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: Added file
lucybrown is offline   Reply With Quote