Third Grade

Help with guided reading!

>

teachnbehappy

Help with guided reading!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all-

This may seem like a very common question but I was curious to know how you all conduct your guided reading blocks. I was interested in implementing "four blocks" this year and dedicating 45 minutes to guided reading. My problem is that I can't seem to picture what I'm supposed to be doing during that block? Do I teach the skill everyday and then pull small groups? Also, what do I have the other students do while I am conducting my small groups? I am not the strongest with centers. What do YOU have your students doing during guided reading instruction. PLEASE HELP!

teachnbehappy is offline   Reply With Quote

BlairTeacher

Old 08-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I structure mine as Reading Workshop. The first 10 minutes is a mini-lesson where you teach them a reading skill. For example, if the skill is on character traits, you use an example with a book they are familiar with, or you read an excerpt from a book for a couple of minutes. You model how you look for character traits within a text. You have some students help you find the character traits. Let's say you were doing this with the book, Matilda by Roald Dahl. And you are doing this on Matilda. Students would say she's nice, smart, etc.

Then, students read for 30-40 min on their own with their own books and practice this skill. Maybe they jot down the character traits on a post-it or in the reading journal. While this is happening, you are conferring with students in small groups...maybe it's one group per day, or a couple per day, whatever works best for you. You are giving them more pointers on this skill and helping them with this.

The last 5-10 minutes, students share out what they discovered in their books, with the class, or with their reading partners. For the rest of the week, you can work on the same skill, but enhance it. So, Tuesday, maybe they work on higher level character traits. By Thursday, maybe they are finding evidence showing the character trait, like "I know Matilda is intelligent because she was able to add up all the numbers her dad called out, in her head within seconds"

Each week, I teach a new skill. And then, I go back to previous learned skills throughout the year to make sure they still understand.

Good luck!! Also, If you google Beth Newingham and look at her reading workshop resources, I've found them very helpful to me!
BlairTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnbehappy

Thank you
Old 08-09-2012, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You cleared things up for me...thank you!
teachnbehappy is offline   Reply With Quote

kpp7473

New to Third Grade
Old 08-16-2012, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

BlairTeacher, your description of your reading block is very comprehensive...thanks. Do you know how I could get a list of all/most/some reading skills needed at third grade level.
kpp7473 is offline   Reply With Quote