Help

Third Grade

I need to give my classroom some UMPH!

>

teachnbehappy

I need to give my classroom some UMPH!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, this year I just realized that my classroom is really...BLAND. I have stuff on the walls and colorful bulletin boards but it's missing something. I have an older classroom with the wall heater and window unit for the AC. The walls are this beige color and I have some furniture that can't be moved, like two open shelves. The room isn't very big and the door is like a prison gray. I'm in desperate need of ANY ideas that anyone may have on how to make my room POP, SPARKLE AND SHINE Pretty please with sugar on top!

Thank you

teachnbehappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

in my room
Old 02-21-2012, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I try to keep my counter top clear and then I put a bright cloth on there and have live plants in there. They are easy to grow/keep plants like golden pothos and spider plants and peace lilies.

It really brightens up the room and makes it homier.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Adding Color
Old 02-22-2012, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with the plants. In late fall, I would bring my geraniums from my home's porch and put them in the windows of my classroom. They bloomed all winter, and it added a lot of sparkle and pop to my classroom.

If you have tables in your classroom, a colorful tablecloth also adds color and pop.

I used colorful cloth on my bulletin boards with contrasting premade borders. If the background was red, my students did their final copy on yellow paper mounted on turquoise paper and the border had yellows, greens, and turquoise in it. The letters for the bulletin board were yellow. This added a lot of zest to my bulletin boards. (Final copies on white paper never thrilled me...white just does not give the pop I was looking for in my classroom.)

Besides red cloth, I also used a Christmas green and turquoise. I loved using the cloth because I only needed to take it down and replace it about once every three or four years. It beat hanging new bulletin board paper every fall.

I also added some touches from home. Over the years, I got many school-related and holiday-related gifts. Each month, I tried to bring a few of these to school and make an area on top of a bookshelf or windowsills with these. It added hominess.

I also made sure the posters I hung on doors or the sides of bland bookshelves were very colorful with a thoughful message.

I had linoleum floors that were an awful green, so in certain areas of my classroom, I added cranberry colored carpet rugs. They were quite large and shaggy, but warmer than the linoleum. (Of course, after I retired, they carpeted my old classroom!!)

I hope this has given you some ideas.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

westwitch

Jealous
Old 02-22-2012, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have quite the "black thumb" and kill most everything I try to plant (sad news when you consider that I'm the Science teacher for the grade level), so I'm quite jealous of the PP with the lovely plants!

I purchased a couple of hanging pots of silk plants (so real looking that the custodian once tried to water them over winter break!) with half price coupons at the local craft store to hang in my classroom. A couple of colorful area rugs and some inexpensive throw pillows ($5 apiece at a local salvage store) for the reading corner really brighten things up, too!
westwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I think the plants I mentioned are
Old 02-22-2012, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

almost impossible to kill--no green thumb required...

One of my students keeps saying I need to trim some of the vines on some as they are coming down the side of the cabinet and almost to the ground....

Stil though, it is the idea of hominess that plants provide so you get that with real or artificial. Apparently they must look really good if they were mistakenly watered...

Like the PP, I also do a lot of posters and BBs on the big plain areas. Another thing I forgot to mention in my first post is that I have table covers on all the table and bright curtains with tension rods on shelves not often used. They are all solid colors that complement my room. It works great to hide clutter and keep distractions to a minimum.

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

kckrzy

Old 02-22-2012, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Can you put some materials on the walls and use like bulletin boards? I've used fabric on my walls using the liquid starch and it looks great and stays up. You have to tape things to it, but the wide range of fabrics would give your room some punch. I also put colored paper on my bookshelves backs. It doesn't show much, just around the books, but helps bring color to the space. Sometimes I add trim around my posters to give them some punch.
kckrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

manyyears

cozy looks
Old 02-25-2012, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What I have in my room... my bulletin boards are all sky blue from Lakeshore; just below the ceiling the walls (with and without the bulletin boards) are lined with the boarders, I have plenty of African violets all in bloom nearly year round, and an ivy that is very beautifully spread all around my potted plants and bookshelves. I give my students star stickies from Target for 100%-outstanding papers, and they write their names, date, what it was for, and I then stick them to the ceiling- something that brightens the room, too. What else can give a warmer look to the room is a lamp (table or floor)- this is in my plans yet.
manyyears is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987

plants
Old 02-26-2012, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Has anyone tried the venus flytraps on the Foss science web site? I'm super curious. They look so fun.
knitting987 is offline   Reply With Quote

cateste

let the kids decorate
Old 02-29-2012, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Let them choose a theme totally on their own, or give them a choice of several and let them have at it. When they have to work with a concept they will give it a lot of thought. Doesn't matter if it is professional looking if they get something out of it.
cateste is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnbehappy

Thank you all so much
Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I loved all of the ideas! I like the idea about table cloths on the tables, and the rugs on the floor. I have thought about doing different textures for the bulletin board backgrounds and maybe adding a few more plants.

teachnbehappy is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymity

Old 03-04-2012, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

does your classroom have a theme? i have found that people are able to spice up their rooms if they make giant clip art related to their theme, or if they use big fonts for headings on bulletin boards.

i have also found that being consistent around the room really helps with things looking "put together". if you have signs around your room for different subjects or areas, create all of the signs at the same time using the same colors and same bulletin board letters.

it could cost money to do this, but using storage bins of the same color scheme would also make things look pleasing. sometimes just planning out where things will go and only putting up what is needed, you can make things very pleasing to the eye.
anonymity is offline   Reply With Quote