Help

Bulletin Boards & Classroom Themes

Help with cooking theme

>

arilynjune

Help with cooking theme
Old 11-04-2010, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a preschool teacher working with the school agers (after school care). This month our theme is "What's Cooking?". I have started taking pictures of the children in chef's hats, holding kitchen utensils. But I'm not sure what else to do with this. Ideas, anyone?

arilynjune is offline   Reply With Quote

AddieJ

a few ideas
Old 11-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

* Look for full color pizza ads (like Domino's) from the newspaper and cut it apart to make a menu (with pictures & words.) You can turn a kitchen area into a pizza parlor. Possibly cut up pizza toppings from felt and the children can actually make pizzas or they can use their imaginations and use other things. Pizza places will give out free boxes so you could pick up a few for this center.

* Older children can design their own menus and make plans for their "dream" restaurant. Great creative writing activity.
* Children can write their own recipes - each can pick something then explain the steps on how to make it. Such as "How to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Step 1: Get out two pieces of bread, etc."
* Do some easy cooking lessons with the class (such as making fruit & yogurt parfaits or ants on a log or pancakes on a griddle.) Lots of math when you discuss the measurements.

* Find pictures of healthy foods & non healthy foods and the children can sort them. Also sort food pictures into food groups.
* Do a predictable chart titled "My favorite food is..." (younger kids) Children then cut apart their sentence, glue it to large paper and illustrate for a class book.
* Another creative writing activity: I could eat 100 _____ but I could never eat 100 _____.
AddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote