Future Teachers

Class Control

>

aneub

Class Control
Old 10-09-2014, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone,
I am currently a junior doing a special education placement. I am teaching my first lesson next week and i'm concerned about having control over my class. The school doesn't have many rules so the students can be very rowdy and won't follow the directions that are given. They also talk over the other students and then begin to have side conversations. I'm fearing that because the actual classroom teacher sometimes can't control them, I won't be able to either. Please give me some suggestions on how to handle the class! Thank you!

aneub is offline   Reply With Quote

jarminio

Old 10-09-2014, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You could try to incorporate your own methods. I know in my classroom when my students begin to get a little chatty, I will turn the lights off to get their attention back. You could also try a countdown like "In 3 seconds, I need the room to get quiet.. 3,2,1" and hopefully by that time they have began to quiet down. I hope this helps!
jarminio is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach1609

collaborate with the teacher
Old 10-09-2014, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It can be difficult to gain control over the class being an intern, especially when the actual teacher cannot control the chatter. They need to understand that you too are the authority and should listen to you. What grade are your students in? My third grade teacher says "zip zip" and the students reply "zap zap".You can also chat with your mentor teacher to collaborate on a different idea. Try to introduce it to the students so you can begin to implement it and they know exactly what is expected of them.
luv2teach1609 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 10-09-2014, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My students won't listen to someone they don't know so I'd do whatever you can to get to know them a little. They could also earn points, stamps, stickers, etc. towards a little reward. I used to have little cards & I'd just quickly give stamps for the ones who were following directions. Just make sure your expectations are clear and be consistent.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

loveschool04

Old 10-18-2014, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think that stickers or stamps is a great way to get the students attention. Another thing that you could do is make the lesson fun for them. Tell them that you have something very cool planned and if they listen that we cannot do it. That gets most of the students attention. You could also incorporate some of the students favorite things in your lesson. For example, if your teaching math use examples that involve horses if some students like horses.

loveschool04 is offline   Reply With Quote

aneub

Old 10-21-2014, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you everyone for the responses! Great ideas
aneub is offline   Reply With Quote