Last Ditch Effort to Reclaim Whiteboard Before Replacing? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Last Ditch Effort to Reclaim Whiteboard Before Replacing?

>

tgrahamf

Last Ditch Effort to Reclaim Whiteboard Before Replacing?
Old 08-08-2019, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good afternoon, all! Quick question from an unlucky undergrad regarding a dry-erase whiteboard in my lab.

It appears the GA assigned to my room this past semester wasn't aware of the existence of erasers. I doubt they erased much information on the board throughout the spring semester and left their lab final exam instructions up on the board. As such, I've been having issues with the "ghosting" and some spots that just refused to erase no matter what I tried to clean them with.

One of the caveats about teaching a lab section is the availability of a wide array of chemicals and solutes at your disposal that can be used in situations like these. I made a fairly diluted mixture of chlorine and hydrogen peroxide to clean my board with, and then made the grave mistake of adding in the smallest bit of a porous industrial cleanser. I then applied this, scrubbing with a small soft-bristled brush and wiped down the entire board until it nearly sparkled. I did multiple rinses and wipe downs to ensure I got all of the cleanser off. For the past two or so weeks, any time I attempt to write on my board all goes well, but when I attempt to erase the board I'm left with these large, giant streaks everywhere. I believe it has a porcelain surface, but may be melamine. It is a Quartet brand dry-erase whiteboard, eight feet long, four feet high. I'd like to try absolutely everything before I put in a request for a new board. I've read varying stories about WD-40 and Rust-Oleum Dry-Erase Paint. Before I apply either of these to my board I'd like to see if anyone else has been able to take a completely destroyed whiteboard with a ruined coating and turn it into a functional board with any of the more common methods found online.

I appreciate any and all responses!

tgrahamf is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Wow!
Old 08-08-2019, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don't know if it will work after your explanation but try erasing with a microfiber clothe. I find they work really well on whiteboards, better than an eraser and the spray designed to clean the boards.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

board
Old 08-08-2019, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe color over marks with a new dry erase marker and wipe off quickly...sometimes that will clean it. I have also known others to use magic erasers on whiteboards. Good luck.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

haven't tried it myself-
Old 08-08-2019, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I was considering getting inexpensive whiteboard stuff from a fix-it store, I read that the board can be renewed by applying clear anti-freeze.

I've also heard of adding a thin coat of WD-40.
Singvogel is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Wd-40
Old 08-08-2019, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use that every year to renew my boards. It fills in the porous surface and then you can erase again. Just a thin film will do. I left it on over the summer and then cleaned it off when setting up my room. It saved my board,

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 08-08-2019, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

i use hand sanitizer to clean my white boards.
imatchr2 is online now   Reply With Quote