Help

The VENT

Maybe a vent, maybe a NUNYA..

>

LuvsPixieDust

Maybe a vent, maybe a NUNYA..
Old 08-17-2019, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This may be a NUNYA business kind of thing for teachers, but anyway....

In my town 100's of middle schoolers and upper elementary students walk to our town square and surrounding businesses after school. They are not always careful crossing the streets and don't always behave in the businesses. Many walk to businesses to be picked up so that parents can avoid the car rider line at school.

Yesterday my college age DD, said a crowd of about 35 showed up all at one time in the pharmacy/gift shop/coffee shop where she works. They were loud, dropped their backpacks at the doors (tripping hazard for the elderly), and they started picking up and tossing around the merchandise. DD called a few out on it and reminded them it was a place of business. One time a few got in a fight in the parking lot of the business.

So my question--what should business owners do in these cases? I have taught and teach most of the students who do this. Many are affluent and have parents who spend a lot of money in these businesses. If they upset the children, the parents might "smear" the businesses and this could hurt business.

The owner of DD's place of work has shared her frustration with me. I don't really think the school can do much about it.

LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-17-2019, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is why you often see signs saying "No students", or something about no more than 2 unaccompanied students allowed at a time in businesses close to schools. Often seemed weird to me, but that explains it.

Anyone who has taken a group of middle schoolers anywhere together knows why those signs are necessary. Their brains get removed for revamping about that time and they have no sense in larger groups.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-17-2019, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Store backpacks in an area and limit how many can come in at a time. Many stores here do not allow backpacks at all.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-17-2019, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The gas station across the street from the high school has a sign stating, “no backpacks allowed and no more than 2 students at a time allowed” for just those reasons.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-17-2019, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think it sucks to punish the good kids for the actions of the bad ones.

Would some of the business owners be willing to put together a "what's expected of customers" presentation for an assembly?

It's too bad there isn't an entrepreneur building a modern-day "Arnold's" in the area. I bet it would make a mint!

Lakeside is online now   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

They need bouncers!
Old 08-17-2019, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We did have a candy shop in town that had a teacher come in after school to help with crowd control. He was a guy that the kids liked so they responded well. When I am off campus I don't want to deal with behavior. Sometimes I have to bite my tongue hard when I see our students acting up outside of school.

We are a college town, BTW. So kids grow up fast here. They see and do more than they should.

LuvsPixieDust

Lakeside, that would be fun!
Old 08-17-2019, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That would be fun and a great money maker! Maybe I should do this when I retire!

annie_g

Old 08-17-2019, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I was in high school, my school was just a block off a busy shopping street. The businesses there limited how many students could come in at a time during lunch and after school. (Funny, no backpacks back then. We just carried our books!)
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 08-17-2019, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

7-11 was at the bottom of the hill at my high scholl growing up. Many students world walk there while waiting for after school activities or pick up. They had problems with theft, so they started only allowing 2 in at a time.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 08-17-2019, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Many of out students are involved in sports. One store owner noticed all the soccer jackets with names. She wrote down the names and called the coach. A few days later, the coach was in the store at the same time as the kids. Gave out extra laps for kids misbehaving.

Was not a long term solution, but a good idea. Sometimes there are advantages to living in a small town.

happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 08-17-2019, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

In my community, a business owner could probably phone the local PD and get a bit more of a law enforcement presence in that particular area. I would think that things like fighting, dangerous street crossing and being disruptive in businesses would justify a police presence in your town square immediately after school.

This is not a school problem. Schools can't control what kids do after they leave the premises.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Call the police
Old 08-17-2019, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

if it was just a few, but 35? There are laws against disorderly conduct. There also may be given fines for any merchandise that they have damaged.

These types of behaviors seldom lessen. Most likely they will get wilder.

The students have been dismissed from school. The school is not responsible.

Other than that, video the little darlings and send it to each of their parents. It is legal to video people in public places or on your property.

How much do we all want to have those videos play them during the next parent conference, when momsie and dada tell you how wonderful and what a noble character little sprout has.

Okay, I thought this over. I think the pharmacy should post a well worded sign both in the window or on the door saying that paying customers are welcome. I can't come up with the wording but have a sign inside explaining that noncustomers will be asked to leave. Then tell the rowdy kids to leave and if they don't call the police.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-17-2019, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

What immediately came to mind was to contact the police. They should be able to ride bys during the time the kids are out of school.
klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-18-2019, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

One of the businesses across from the high school around here has a spot where kids must leave backpacks. Then studnts have to hand over thier school ID to the cashier while they are in the store-if their are any problems the business owner has the information on who to tell the police was a. stealing, or b, causing a ruckus. Just knowing that they wont get away with bad behavior has apparently made a big difference.

Just down the street is a major grocery store. They dont have rules or people monitoring the kids who come in but they do turn over video of theft to police who take it right down to the high school to identify who is in it. During dismissal a police car sits in the parking lot. Oh and they recently build a huge aisle long locking case to lock up all the alcohol. Not so much as a can of beer is left unlocked. This is working well enough for a big chain business but I think that the way the small business handles it is more feasible for you situation.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Good ideas!
Old 08-18-2019, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I don't think any businesses in town do these measures posted. It would offend the parents who spend a lot of money there!!

kahluablast

Old 08-18-2019, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Offended parents need to be shown some video of how these kids are acting at businesses after school!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Hmmm- We're told that we ARE
Old 08-18-2019, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

responsible until the kid gets home or into the custody of a parent/guardian.

We used to even have this be part of behavior assemblies.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rkhnd

Singvogel
Old 08-18-2019, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

There is no way you can be held responsible for a student once they leave your supervision at school. If the parent doesn't come pick them up then the parent is allowing them to get home on their own, at which point the parent is responsible for their child's actions.
Rkhnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-18-2019, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Our middle schools sends out an email every minimum day reminding parents that kids shouldn't go downtown when school lets out. That's about the only thing they can do, and it doesn't make a difference. That said, I don't think it's offensive to parents to have a no backpack or 2 students only at a time policy. They aren't saying the kids aren't welcome, they are just posting fair limits. If I was a business owner I'd also be asking the local police to be patrolling after school hours - just having their presence might help.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

I agree!
Old 08-18-2019, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I am honestly afraid something bad will happen one day with kids crossing the streets without looking or running around unsupervised. Too many people think our town is like Mayberry from the 1950's.