Help

The VENT

Motherly advice!

>

cutecat

Motherly advice!
Old 08-18-2019, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This board has been helping me get through many years of teaching. My son has embarked on a new journey of his own and he is struggling with stress, confidence and belonging. I find myself wanting to share things with him that I have learned on my own path of making it in the grown up teaching world so I am going to put these right here and if this can help anyone struggling with this, it will make me feel like I have helped in a small way. I am embarking on my 28th year of teaching and planning on finishing up in two years. I start back tomorrow and I am still nervous and unsure of how my first day will go and what this year will bring! Here are some mindsets that have helped me stay in the career this long....

1. Be You- First and foremost, be yourself! When you are your most authentic self, you will not spend the time and energy trying to be like the teacher next door. Being you will help you shine and develop your own gifts and passion for teaching.
2. Focus on your purpose- Most of us went into teaching to educate children and be the positive change this world needs. Don't let distractions such as drama and negative energy bring you down!! It's not worth it!!!
3. Find one person- Be kind to everyone but try seek one person you can talk to and be yourself with. Just knowing that there is one person who gets you and what you are going through makes the difference. This person can be in the school building or in your outside life, Don't spend energy trying to get everyone to like you and get you at school......it won't happen and being part of the social butterfly group comes at a cost as new staff and administration arrive and leave each year.
4. Look into the eyes of your students and realize your impact- Your impact is huge!!!! You will have your students for a short window of time but you will never, ever realize the impact until much later. You will be working with your students during some very hard times and good times. Take time to build trust and relationships with your students. It makes a difference.
5. Realize that change is constant- If you are in a good time of your teaching career....celebrate and enjoy the moments. If you are in a slump....look for ways to rejuvenate and overcome it. If you are at a low point....take one day at a time and realize that teaching is a rollercoaster. It is full of high points and low and all teachers are on their individual rollercoaster ride.
6. Take care of you!- Friends, we never know how life is going to unwind. Enjoy each day and enjoy this journey. Take moments everyday to relax and decompress. You, yourself, will know what helps with this. Whether it be walking, napping, art, music.....you have to take these moments and NOT feel guilty. This is your life too and just as we want our students to be physically and mentally well, we have to be that for them! Your investment into physical and mental wellness will help create the stamina and endurance you need to teach for many years to come.

If anyone wants to add to this list what has helped you to survive teaching through the years, please add!!!! This is a time where a lot of teachers are feeling anxiety and struggling as we face the upcoming year. We can do this!!!

cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

That was beautiful!
Old 08-18-2019, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Thank you!
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Thanks!!! Great advice!! Need to print this!
Old 08-18-2019, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think we are just about in the same boat. I am in year 28 with a DS who is in his senior year of college. DD is in her 2nd year. Lots of big change in the air.

DH gave me the best advice when we were early in our careers. Don't let a 12 year old ruin your day!! That helped me stay in 6th and 7th grade all these years.
LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 08-18-2019, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wonderful advice! I hope those who are currently struggling in our profession can listen and internalize these thoughts. They will be so much happier.
jov is online now   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Don't try to be everything/do eveything-
Old 08-18-2019, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Of course, there's the old adage that you can't please everyone all of the time.

As with cutecat's numbers 2 and 4, you will be asked to add more and more to your plate. Education has the biggest pendulum in the world. Focus on a very limited number of things to change or add each year. Make the needs of your students be the determining factor.

Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

Motherly Advice
Old 08-18-2019, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Very well said!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Love it!
Old 08-18-2019, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for taking the time to type it out.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 08-18-2019, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Great advice & just what we need to remind ourselves of, at this time of year.
VivianCP is online now   Reply With Quote