Help

The VENT

Hi. Me again.

>

Violet4

Hi. Me again.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've actually been pretty upset about starting up tomorrow (teachers not students). Have not just been saying "oh well," have been trying to switch schools, positions, research jobs outside of education etc. Like many of you I don't want to quit teaching I'm just fed up with my situation.

I just wanted to know if I was the only one currently feeling this way or if anyone else can relate. I feel enough guilt, if there was a financially responsible way of not returning this year I would.

I feel like I say this on maybe every post but please don't judge. Not everyone has a lot of options available. I still do my job well and don't cheat students because of this. They know I care.

It's probably worth mentioning that it's not even so much the job as it is certain ways of being disrespected and maybe the fear of constantly being criticized. That part I'm trying to work on. Not being afraid of that.

Last edited by Violet4; 08-18-2019 at 05:22 AM..
Violet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

No judgement here...
Old 08-18-2019, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I completely understand. I am fortunate that I was able to retire. I had originally hoped to teach two more years than I did, but for me, the constant stress of trying to measure up and the direction the school district was going in was not for me.

I also felt that with the increased demands that were placed on us, I had very little time to relax and recharge, time I feel is very important given the intense nature of our jobs. I had a range of emotions ranging from sadness to anger and resentment. I found myself longing for the carefree days of summer when I truly could do things like just read a book for pleasure or take a day trip just because I felt like it.

I remember that for years, when school ended, I would pour over the catalogs of teaching materials and focus almost immediately on the next year. I was that excited. I'm not sure how many years you have taught, but I am sad that the newer teachers will never know the slower, more relaxed pace I had, and the days when the district was not micromanaging everything we were doing from teaching materials to unit plans. We truly had autonomy and were treated as professionals without the degree of administrative and state directives we seem to have today.

Good luck to you. I hope you have a wonderful class and bring the magic in when you start to work with your students. And I wish the same for everyone starting the new year. Thank goodness we have YOU!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Gifted

Old 08-18-2019, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just keep searching for a better place to work. Remember, though, that switching schools is not going to magically solve all of your problems. I was in a similar situation. I changed schools and the first year was a very rough adjustment for me. It took a while for things to get better.
Gifted is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ENLTeacher

I can relate...
Old 08-18-2019, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I can relate in a way that at the beginning of each year I feel like I have to meet so many expectations that I may just drown. I also don't like the feeling of always being watched and criticized. I feel like I do a good job but every time I have a guest in my room for some reason I feel like I am not doing enough. Maybe I feel this way because we are expected to be great while doing twice as much work as we did last year, and three times as much as we do this year. But I guess the way I manage this feeling is that I do my job and try to enjoy the process, because I do. And when I have guests, not that often, but when I do, I try to smile, and put on a show. I hope you will feel better.
K12ENLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

More feel this way than ever before
Old 08-18-2019, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You are not alone. I think that some of what's causing this is social media and how it changes the ways that people connect, or don't.

In addition to the pressure of meeting the needs of the variety of little people in my class, we have the parents, and the seemingly perfect Instagram, TPT, Pinterest, Twitter... people whose publicity warps the expectation of who we should be.

The best advice I ever got was to shut the door and focus on your students. Be professional and polite to colleagues, but don't expect validation from them.

Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Agree with NJ Teacher
Old 08-19-2019, 02:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I understand your agony. I am/was just like the previous post, NJ Teacher. I couldnít wait to set up my room, teaching my kiddos, researching ways to improve my lessons, etc. Many changes to curriculum, admin, discipline, you know, the rest. Letís just say I am glad I am retired!

My advice: research what you can do to improve your situation, switch schools or find a related field.
In the meantime, find one positive thing in your day and write it down. It may help you look at your day differently. And close your door and do what you do best!
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote