Help

Special Education

need help with grouping/work - many kids/many levels

>

mscoach

need help with grouping/work - many kids/many levels
Old 08-28-2014, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach a resource class for 30 minutes with 8 kids. 5th and 6th graders. They are all on different levels, all have 2 different IEP goals, all but 1 is a behavior concern ( loud, into everyone's business,etc....). I only have 30 min with these kids and am having a hard time figuring out how to handle this. They all have binders with daily work that they work in. But, it's impossible for me to help them all and be sure that they are doing the work correctly, or at all!!!!! I have one 6th grader who was placed in 6th(skipped 5th grade), so I try to help him as much as possible- because of the gaps he will have. Any advice???????

mscoach is offline   Reply With Quote

expertteacher

What are you addressing during Resource time?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Regular classroom work or SPED IEP goals? When you say all but 1 is a behavior problem do you mean they have behavior plans? I believe being loud and nosey are normal for 5th and 6th graders so I'm not sure I would consider that a behavior problem.

My answer to your question will depend upon your response to my questions.
expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mscoach

Old 08-29-2014, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I help them with regular classroom work as well as working on IEP goals. No- no behavior plans, just normal bad middle school behavior..

beachygrl

first...
Old 08-31-2014, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

First, take a deep breath and relax. You're going to figure this out. I would forgo the GenEd work for the time being, until you can get them into the groove of actually doing work in your room. Your 30 minutes needs to be devoted to their IEP goals at this point. I would have them sit at desks facing the wall, and circle from one to the next continually, making comments like, "Good job on the first sentence! I like how you remembered to use capital letters correctly. Can you get the next one written for me, please?" Scan the work, compliment, move on. Most students in this situation have VERY short attention spans, so I would only work for about 7 minutes at a time, then do a quick brain break (seriously, quick!) then back to work for another few minutes. Although they all have different goals, it's not vital that each goal be addressed every day. For the next week or so, I would just focus on having them complete work they CAN do independently and help then learn that in your room they WILL be successful learners.
beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

sbf0117

Great answer
Old 09-01-2014, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was reading this because I'm in a similar situation, only with 12 kids. I agree with beachygirl that the IEP goals could be a focus and stay with work you know they can be successful with independently. I'm going to try some groups later.

sbf0117 is offline   Reply With Quote

mscoach

Old 09-05-2014, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

beachygirl- I love the idea of having them sit facing the wall, but all i have is tables in my room. BUT- I will figure it out! Maybe I can give them all pillows and sit them on the floor facing the wall??? The reason I try to hit gen ed work is because most of them don't have the help at home. What are some good ideas for middle school brain breaks???