Help

Special Education

Thank You Mr Falker

>

sbf0117

Thank You Mr Falker
Old 08-13-2013, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if any of you have used Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco as a read aloud with special needs kids. I have a 5th grade self contained class this year and was considering it, but I wondered what you guys think. It's about a girl that can't read and is bullied and then finds a teacher that helps her realize she has a learning disorder. He helps her learn to read in the 5th grade.

sbf0117 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can't because it makes me cry everytime I read it.

Seriously, I think it's a great book and the kids would enjoy it. I guess I wonder what the objective would be for reading it; I would use it for parts if a story. If the kids got something else from it the great.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

mrsmom

Mr. Falker is wonderful!
Old 08-20-2013, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used this last year at the beginning of school and I teach resource room reading for 4th/5th. During the first few days of getting to know the kids, we have very candid discussions about why they are in the resource room and I get them to understand that it is awesome to be part of a small group setting. The kids open up as to how they feel in the larger classroom when it comes to reading and reading is a huge part of every subject, even math. Anyway, last year we followed up with Thank You, Mr. Falker, and it was a wonderful experience. I had the book but I used my new Smartboard and let the kids view it on www.storylineonline.net. It's a site where different actors read books aloud. I love to read books to the kids, but I just tried it for something different.

I used to teach self-contained 2nd-4th and I would use the book if I were still there. I would say it is an excellent idea for your 5th graders.
mrsmom is offline   Reply With Quote