Help

Sunflower Room

Miller and Collins

>

1stgradenew

Miller and Collins
Old 10-02-2006, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For those of you trying to do both reading with meaning and growing readers I was wondering how you plan this. I really want to do both but I'm just not sure how. I'm afraid if I do both I won't have time to do everything. Are you doing GR 3 times and RWM 2 times a week. ARe you combining some of the mini lessons together so that their aren't so many in GR? If anyone has so plans for the year already done I would love love love to see them. I just started the second unit in GR and want to start schema of RWM soon.

Thanks a ton!

BookMuncher

doing it all
Old 10-02-2006, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I haven't done plans that incorporate both yet, but I'm teaching reading with meaning in my interactive read alouds right now. I've been doing schema and I'm about ready to have the kids start turning and talking about it during a couple read alouds. Probably around the middle of oct. or nov. I will start infusing some schema mini-lessons into my reader's workshop. I feel like there are usually a whole lot of growing reader ones and they sometimes overlap. Where Miller is being specific about how to think about books, Collins is concerned that the children are slowing down and talkign authentically. I think that's a great mix-- I think too much of Miller gets to be too perscribed and the kids don't actually do it in their real reading lives. I'll probably do about 1-2 Miller mini-lessons a week, but almost always have some of her stuff in my read alouds. As soon as I "move schema" into the realm of reader's workshop, I'll slide mental images in my read alouds. Does that make sense?

1stgradenew

Can you
Old 10-02-2006, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

tell me some read alouds that you have used to talk about Schema. I know that RWM has a list of them but I would like to use a majority of those when I have the students turn and talk about schema. I guess my problem is that I just don't have alot of good stories to use for schema. What are some that you use successfully?

BookMuncher

schema
Old 10-03-2006, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Some good ones:

Mercer Mayer monster books are good: Monster in my Closet, etc..

Koala Lou

Soft House by Jane Yolen is THE BEST EVER for this, but it's tricky to find. It is soooooo worth the $$$- you'll use it for reading and small moments writing.

Kevin Henkes books are good for schema (Wemberly Worried, Owen, Lilly, and Chrysanthemum are particularly good)

No, David

Jamaica's Find

That's all I can think of right now!

1stgradenew

Soft House
Old 10-03-2006, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I found Soft House on Amazon. I will def. be purchasing it since YOU think it is a good one. Thanks so much for always replying Bookmucher! You are wonderful

BookMuncher

softhouse
Old 10-03-2006, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Oh gosh!! I hope you like it then!!!!

Jaime-2

SOme of my favorites
Old 10-12-2006, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The Relatives Came
Ira Sleeps Over
Koala Lou

I then use the Kevin Henkes book-Julius becuase it connects to K. Lou and then Lilly's p.p.p becuase it connects to Julius- this leads into a mini author study for me

For text to world I use a lot of Eve Bunting

LittleHeather

Doing more Collins, than Miller
Old 10-30-2006, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I know exactly how you are feeling. Both Miller and Collins have awesome approaches to reading instruction, but go about it in different ways. When I first read Debbie Miller's book, I thought she was the god of reading instruction. I thought, "how could teachers and kids really talk about reading like this?" However, now that I have read Kathy Collins book and heard her at a conference this past summer, I have been using her book more. If I were you, I would do a combination. It might go something like this - Each day during Reading Workshop I would:

- do a mini-lesson on a comprehesion or decoding strategy (you could use either book for ideas)
- then give students independent reading time (or letting the kids have it at as Debbie calls it). This should be done every day.
- while they are reading you can conference with individual students (you may want to make up a schedule so you know who you will be conferring with and when) OR
- while they are reading you could pull a small group of struggling students to work on specific decoding strategies (Guided reading)

Currently, my students and I are working on "Getting our minds ready to read" (looking at the cover, thinking about what the book might be about and what we know about the topic before actually reading). This mini-lesson ties in with Miller's schema because it is important for students to think about the title in terms of what they already know or do not know. I am using Collins book as a guide, but incorporating Debbie Miller's comprehensions strategies along the way.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide to do.

BookMuncher

i second that!
Old 10-30-2006, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You make a good point about Miller's schema going well with Collin's getting your mind ready to read. We did that two weeks ago, but I found myself talking a lot about schema throughout. Then, we moved to the tricky word strategies. But instead of going right on, I just felt like I needed to make my own little bend in the road and take a Debbie Miller week. So this week we are doing connections. I know that Collins gets to this, but I just sensed that my kids need an understanding strategy week, b/c we had done enough with the surface structures.

I agree with you-- littleheather-- they compliment each other well. It's just a matter of being able to fit both on your lap every weekend!

1stgradenew

Littleheather
Old 10-30-2006, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think it was you that had mentioned posting some conference notes from Kathy Collins. Am I thinking of the right person? Just wondering if you were ever able to upload those, b/c I would love to take a look thanks so much! Also do you have your reading workshop plans on your computer? I would love to see a few more examples of how you mix both Collins and Miller together b/c I not doing such a great job.

Lady A

Tricky word strategies
Old 10-31-2006, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What resources do you use for teaching these strategies? Thank you

BookMuncher

tricky word strategies
Old 11-01-2006, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm following what Collins says: She says to make it like a full class inquiry and instead of telling the kids the strategies, watch them and see what they already know. We started there, and then I used some things I saw them do to teach the others. They ended up being very similiar to the ones I've used before.

I've attached my strategy icons.
Attached Files
File Type: doc reading strategy NEW.doc (128.5 KB, 463 views)