Sunflower Room

Share your readers workshop themes here

>

1tch

1tch

Share your readers workshop themes here
Old 08-07-2007, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if everyone would share their classroom themes for readers workshop here. I am still trying to think of one. I am trying to think of something along the lines of "growing readers" or "readers bloom".

BookMuncher

themes
Old 08-07-2007, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Last year I used Reader's Clubhouse, this year I'm using Home Sweet Home. I've also thought about doing Once Upon a Time... did you see 1stgradenew's cute thread aobut doing a bookstore theme?

riley19

Our whole school....
Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

is doing "WIld about Learning" so our first grade team is using "First Grade is Wild about Growing Readers" or just "Wild about Growing Readers"

eloise

construction
Old 08-07-2007, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our whole-school reading theme is something construction based (I can't remember the actual saying..."Building Good Readers" or something like that), so I just have a lot of tool-related stuff which works out pretty well with the "workshop" part of it!

Random

Old 08-07-2007, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've never used a theme in my classroom. Or actually, I should say that I've used the same theme every year: Organized Chaos! Next year I hope to drop the "chaos" part of my theme.

I just go with a colour scheme: blue, white and yellow. I find it calm and nice, and I don't have to change things every year. But then, I'll admit that I've never really been good at "cute". I love it, but I just can't do it!

I think that if I WERE doing a theme, a garden could be really fun! I love to work and read in my garden at home. I'm picturing lawn chairs and a white picket fence in the reading corner, tons of plants all over the place, a "fish pond" (well, my fish actually live in an aquarium, but we could rename it), a bulletin board entitled (what else) "Growing Readers", some "spotlight" book baskets about insects and plants, windchimes for a quiet signal, a reading gardening basket (instead of a took box), lots of kid-created decorations like butterflies, creepy-crawlies and flowers.

But...yeah...just THINKING about setting up a theme exhausts me. I guess I'll just live vicariously through others!

teachrchick

Old 08-08-2007, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Random,

I'm with you on that one...my "theme" is also colors - purple and blue skies with clouds. Have you seen that board paper? It's great!

teacherdani21

Old 08-08-2007, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am also with teachrchick and random...I don't have a theme because it is too overwhelming for me, and I think it would be too much to keep up with, and I know I would go overboard with trying to find things to go with the "theme" for my room.
However, I also do a theme with colors (bright and bold). I have lot's of yellow, red, blue, and green in my room. My walls are a light blue and the carpet is a dark blue, so the bright colors make the room cheery and fun. I don't overdo it though because I don't want to overstimulate my kiddos. But, I get a lot of compliments on my room throughout the year.

jedgar

State Wide Theme
Old 08-10-2007, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am a fifth grade teacher and my class theme for this year is Across the Great States. My reading area is New Jersey -- The Garden State. The BB says Reading Garden and I have painted an old garden fence with some cedar brown paint (my walls were white so white wouldn't show up). My eleven year old helped create some flowers. It looks great. I never thought about the wind chime though so Now I got a new idea. Thank you.