Help

Sunflower Room

a BIG day

>

1stgradenew

a BIG day
Old 10-03-2007, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

On Monday I have a VERY BIG day! My school has contracted ETA to do some guided reading training. My classroom was chosen to have 10 first grade teachers, 2 asstaint supers, and 2 principals to observe a GR lesson in. Well, when the lady found out that I do reader's workshop so told me that I needed to do a mini-lesson and then she will lead the GR group while my students read (just like I do). Anyways-I will be demoing RW to 14 people who have no clue what it is. I know that when it's done during the de-brief everyone will say, "How do you know they are reading?" and I need a good answer! How would you answer? Personally, I know they are reading b/c I spent 1 1/2 months teaching procedures and that they need to be reading and guess what they do! but I need a good answer to prove what I'm doing is right!

So give me your answer, "How do you know they are reading?"

JunieB.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you hold them accountable by sticky notes or reading journals? That would show accountability -- also through conferencing, you can tell.

BookMuncher

Old 10-03-2007, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

if you have a conference with a child and they have had their stack of books for a week, you can tell if they know them or haven't looked at them by their fluency and comprehension. (Honestly-- I don't know if that's ever happened to me before... even the kids who are hard to persuade to get words to paper have no attention problems reading)

Plus- even when you aren't meeting with them, you are keeping your thumb on the pulse of the room by walking past to your next conference.