Help

Sunflower Room

strategy groups and GR

>

1stgradenew

strategy groups and GR
Old 07-10-2007, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Next year my school is implementing GR. Although I don't love GR I think it is a step in the right direction for a school that is head over heals in love with their basal Anyways, I was wondering if some one could help me out on the difference between GR and strategy groups. I did GR in student teaching in kindergarten but never in 1st, and I'm still a little confused on strategy groups. I'm hoping to start GR in the beginning of the year during partner reading time, and then move to strategy groups. I did RW last year but never made it to adding strategy groups. Are strategy groups similar to your mini lesson just only for 3 or 4 students. Hmmm...I confused, help me out proteacher friends What sort of topics do you do for strategy groups?

Last edited by 1stgradenew; 07-10-2007 at 05:57 PM..

CLHS

just curious
Old 07-10-2007, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

as to why you don't love guided reading groups for primary level reading instruction. As a former 1st grade teacher, I can't imagine not using GR groups! Maybe I'm stuck in a bubble, though, so I'd love to hear what else people are using for reading instruction with the little ones.

I found a nice website that gives a basic overview of GR

http://olc.spsd.sk.ca/DE/PD/instr/st...ed/guided.html

heather818

1st gradenew..
Old 07-11-2007, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm not totally sure on this, but I think 2 main differences in GR and strat. groups are the focus and the length of time a group stays together. A GR group, while called "flexible" often stays together for several weeks or months. (In some cases, most of the year.) Kids are grouped based on a fluency score from DIBELS, DRA, etc. The focus of these groups is usually moving through a series of leveled books together.

A strategy group is usually convened because of identified need for a specific strategy lesson. For example, you may have kids reading GR levels B, D, K, E who are all struggling with inferring. You could call those kids to meet and bring their book bins. You could give a version of an inferring mini-lesson or conference and all kids could practice with their own books (sort of like an active engagement) right there on the spot. Of course, you could also have a text that all of the kids used and demonstrate the strategy that way. Strategy groups are usally only a "group" for one or two lessons. They are called together for a specific purpose as identified by conference notes, etc.

Hope this makes some sense and isn't totally off base! :-)

BookMuncher

agree
Old 07-11-2007, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with heather's definition...

As far as what kind of topics, I don't often call strategy groups that deal with the strategy I am currently teaching (because of gradual release) I'm more likely to hold one on something else I've already taught. Last year, I must have held 10 meetings just on strategies for breaking apart and chunking words, b/c I had a handful who really needed to do it better.

The list that I'm working on in my blog, would also be topics for a strategy group.

A note about GR-- when first graders are just beginning to read, GR is great b/c in essence, you are showing them how to navigate a whole text, integrating all their strategies at once. This is something they need if they are ever to manage it indepdently.

But, in answer to CHLS, the reason why I prefer strategy gruops once my children are the "early reading" phase, is because it's- well, more strategic! Instead of covering a little bit of everything (i.e. let's take a book walk, "what do you know about frogs?", here are a few words you might need to know, etc. etc...), strategy gruops allow the teacher to be extremely straightforward. With only one objective, the children are very aware of exactly what it is you want them to know. They get out their books and practice that very strategy. I just feel that they are more likely, then, to take that with them.

GR teaches children about the whole reading experience, while strategy groups isolates skills and strategies.

BirdSong

Old 07-11-2007, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

GR - is exactly what it sounds like. You guide children through their reading - helping them improve their fluency and comprehension.

Strategy groups are groups meant to teach or reteach a strategy - like inferencing or identifying the problem and solution of a text. It is more skill/strategy oriented than reading oriented.

teachrchick

Old 07-12-2007, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Just curious...in addition to strategy groups, do you ever pull groups together to read and respond to books? I guess this would essentially be like literature circles or book clubs. It seems to me that last year, my guided reading groups really turned into a format somewhat similar to literature circles, but I think I played too active a role. I love the idea of moving away from guided reading groups and more toward strategy groups, but I don't want to miss out on the enjoyment of reading and then discussing a good book together with a group of children. How will people fit all of this into their day?