Help

Sunflower Room

letter to parents

>

1stgradenew

letter to parents
Old 07-23-2007, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm wondering if anyone has a note about RW (and for that matter WW) that they give to parents on back to school night or when ever, that explains the layout and reasoning, etc. of workshops. I'm working on mine right now, and would love to see what others have done. I feel like I have to explain to parents what I'm doing, since no one else does at my school is doing it. I'm really regretting not making a video last year to show to parents and students this year!

KC2

Old 07-23-2007, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The video is a great idea! I will try to do that this year. I don't have a letter since it is my first year doing RW. I listed the steps of WW on our curriculum handout for Back to School Night, but parents didn't ask questions about it.

I'd be interested in seeing your letter when you are done. Thanks!

teacherdani21

Old 07-23-2007, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would love to see your letter as well. I, too, have been trying to come up with something, and haven't gotten around to sitting down and writing it! LOVE the video idea. I might have to do that this year, for next year's set of parents!

Curious Cat

Literacy Brochure
Old 07-23-2007, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My teammate and I created this brochure to give out. Hope this helps everyone.
Attached Files
File Type: doc literacy brochure 1PT.doc (40.0 KB, 210 views)
File Type: doc literacy brochure 2.doc (38.0 KB, 158 views)

eagertolearn

Letter Home
Old 07-23-2007, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know she teaches 3rd grade, but Beth Newingham (Just google her name and it will link you to the webpage)has an awesome webpage that explains her reader's and writer's workshop. Maybe some ideas from there can be modified for a letter home to your parents. Hope this helps.

KC2

CuriousCat
Old 07-23-2007, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love your handout for parents. Thanks for sharing!

cathybev

curious cat
Old 07-23-2007, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That is a great brochure, I love it. It will be very helpful to explain to parents what RW is.

teacherdani21

CuriousCat
Old 07-23-2007, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you so much for sharing the brochure handout! This will be extremely helpful to parents!

1stgradenew

Movie
Old 07-23-2007, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I must admit that the movie is a great idea...however, it isn't my idea!! Bookmuncher had this idea, so please give all credit to her for the wonderful idea!!

teachil

movie
Old 07-23-2007, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If you can do the movie for Curr. Night/Welcom Back Night since it is normally few weeks after school starts, I highly recommend it.

It can even be a power point presentation with recordings of your students explaining photos that are on it.

Have done it in the past and we would do a day in the life of ____ graders and just take pictures throughout the day and then narrate them (by kids of course) parents loved them.

BookMuncher

wow
Old 07-24-2007, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Curious Cat- that brochure is excellent! I love it!

1stgradenew- this won't exactly help you with what you want. This is the letter I sent to parents in the mail (along with other materials stuff) about our "clubhouse". If you're still using that theme, you're welcome to use this or adapt it.

What do you have in your letter so far? If you feel like you are trying to prove why you're doing it- after all- you might be the only one. Make sure to point out that every student is beinig instructed at his or her own level 100% of the time. I've found that's what parents like about it, even if they don't understand everything else (especially those of the higher readers who complained in kindergarten and are ready to complain in first!)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Microsoft Word - Clubhouse info.pdf (88.8 KB, 128 views)

Mel's1st

On My To Do List
Old 07-24-2007, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Parent Info. was on my To Do List this summer and you have made it very easy between the brochure and the Clubhouse letter.
Question - Since we're talking about parents - I know that RW does not lend itself well to worksheets as the children are at the center of reading instead of being "around" reading (I read this recently and I'm not sure if I've got it right). How do you explain the lack of them as this is something that parents will expect. I do a Friday Folder and I'm thinking of doing away with it just b/c there won't be as much to send home.
RW PROS - How much grading do you do now as opposed to pre RW? I enjoy the role of planning and creating next to the role of grader any day of the year.

BookMuncher

worksheets
Old 07-24-2007, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

If you think that parents at your school are going to be surprised by the lack of paperwork, I would just come right out and tell them that they will hardly see any papers at all. (If I were you, I'd air on the side of nothing coming home so that they aren't expecting it). Just tell them that according to the research, the best readers are the ones who read widely and for sustained amounts of time. Filling out worksheets cuts into that time and breaks reading into separate skills. Maybe give them a metaphor: Whether someone is learning to cook, fix a bike, or drive a car, filling out worksheets will never teach them the way that actually doing it can.

If you wish to make it even clearer, you could make a T-chart with reader's workshop on one side and traditional reading instruction on the other.