Help

Sunflower Room

GR during RW

>

1stgradenew

GR during RW
Old 09-06-2007, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year I did RW and I was very happy with it (only teacher doing it) now this year I am ready to add GR (and strategy groups) to my RW time(again only teacher doing GR)and I'm wondering for those of you who do GR and RW, do you try to relate the teaching point of your GR group to the mini-lesson? I guess I'm not sure that I know what my teaching points should be at the end of the GR if not related to RW (I only did GR in K student teaching). Could someone give me some(or alot) of ideas on teaching points at the end of GR. THANKS!

zale

Guided Reading
Old 09-06-2007, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do guided reading during Readers Workshop. And my mini lessons had nothing to do with my guided reading. I worked on the strategies the kids needed and sometimes it did relate but most of the time I grouped them by level.
Hope that makes sense.

xnanny

I agree
Old 09-06-2007, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

with Zale. You are teaching the strategy that particular group needs.

Linda/OH

Old 09-08-2007, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You may choose your leveled books with a purpose in mind. Mininessons have been on characters & setting Example: all my GR groups will be reading fiction because our focus is describing characters & setting. But then in GR, a teaching point at the end may naturally occur because everyone missed a certain word and so returning to the word to reread and do some needed word work will happen. You can still discuss and chart or whatever your original objective but be open to teaching points. I'm also into thematic GR groups so when we do a folktale unit , all groups will be reading folktales (just teacher chosen at their levels). I have developed some other ones -we did a clothing theme last year and a winter theme as well Fun for me to create...

maggiebville

Independent vs. Guided Reading Books
Old 09-08-2007, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Linda-- Do you have your students have their books for Reading Workshop in the same containers (Boxes or bags or whatever) as their books for Guided REading? I am ready to start introducing just right books for RW and wondered if the books should be in the same or different places.

teacherdani21

Old 09-08-2007, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have my kids put the GR books into their RW book bins after we have read the book together during GR time. This gives them the chance to practice and re-read it a few more times on their own!

Linda/OH

Old 09-09-2007, 03:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Not exactly. They have a 3-prong reading folder that they keep their log in, so I have them put the GR book in the pocket of the folder. This folder goes in the book baggies that we use where their IR books are kept. When we have GR they bring their whole reading folder to the table. And also like teacherdani mentioned, they may reread this book too for IR after we've read it together.

maggiebville

Old 09-09-2007, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks Linda and teacherdani! When they go shopping for their new RW books, do they exchange the GR books at the same time? Or keep them as long as they like? (or until I need them for another group? Obviously I am still working this out in my mind!

Linda/OH

Old 09-09-2007, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have them keep them as long as they'd like. And yes once in awhile I'll need to collect them for another group, you're right

bleau

Book Boxes
Old 09-09-2007, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi! I have cardbooard magazine boxes for my kids to use. They are called "Bankers Boxes". These will be their familiar read book boxes and they will keep their guided reading books in here (after we read and discss them) along with their 'just right' books for RW in these book boxes.