Help

Sunflower Room

tutoring

>

1stgradenew

tutoring
Old 11-05-2007, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am thinking about "tutoring" 3 of my really low students two times a week in the morning before school. I'm not sure what to do with them though...but I know they need more help! I think two of three will eventually be tested for a learning disability however I don't think it will happen anytime soon- the other students has NO help at home!

To give you a little about these kids:
In my classroom I do RW and WW (units of study). All 3 students read at a a Guided Reading level of aa. I usually manage to meet with them three times a week in RW- 2 GR sessions and one conference. One of the students writing is extremely low. She has a hard time saying a story let alone write it- she usually looks up on the word wall and if she wants to write sister she writes said instead bc it starts with an s. Even if we say together about 5 times the exact sentence she will write she can't get it on paper..she ends up writing something else that neither her or I can read. She usually can't even say what she was writing about!
They all seem to have very low sight word knowledge.

I'm at a lost as to what to do with them during tutoring. They need help in reading and writing but I don't want to do the same things we do in class. They are pretty good in math.

read2learn

Old 11-05-2007, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

that's awesome you are tutoring them..hmm maybe i could try that with some of my low kids.

have you tried guided writing with them? come up with a story to write together..practice on a part of the page and then have them write it neat on another. Working on sounding out the words and what not????

could you play some sight word games with them? You could use cubes to work on moving sounds as they hear them to sound out words? work on book talk with them?

What type of things are you doing with them in class?