Help

Sunflower Room

Shared Reading

>

1stgradenew

Shared Reading
Old 11-05-2007, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok- I feel this question has been asked a million times but I'm still struggling! I do a shared read each day-Our morning message and then either the big book that came with our reading series,(one of the few aspects I like of the reading series) or a song.

I'm understand how to do a shared read with a big book but I'm really struggling with what else to do beside read through it. Right now we read through the song two or three times and then we sing it with the music. I'm doing really bad with the actual teaching part. Could you help me?

This week we are doing Micheal Finneagan. If you were using this song for a shared read what might you teach with it, or what else would you do beside read through it?!?

THANKS

kaycee1128

I know what you mean...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I struggle with the same thing...especially when I am using songs. Here are some things we do but I would LOVE to hear other ideas because I feel like I am stuck in a rut.

rhyming words
High frequency spelling words (high lighting tape)
Break words into parts
spelling pattern
Unknown vocabulary
Meaning

Sometimes I wonder if maybe there doesn't need to be a teaching point. The point is that you are reading a text together, since it is music most kids (especially struggling readers) can pick up on it and then read it again and again. What does everyone else think?