Traveling Teacher-Struggling

>

trumpetkidd

trumpetkidd

Traveling Teacher-Struggling
Old 01-18-2016, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

I am a first year teacher this year! I teach at THREE schools! At two of the schools I teach elementary general music, and at the third I teach a pull-out program for band/orchestra. I am finding the balance to be exhausting and I always feel behind. Is there any one else on this forum who has had the traveling experience? I am hoping a one school position opens up in the district for next year don't know if I could do this another year! Any advice would be appreciated.

jazzer

Old 02-16-2016, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know it has been a while since you posted this so I hope you do return to check in. I have been a traveling music/band teacher for about 14 years minus two in which I taught at one high school.

I worked for an independent band service for several years and at times taught at 10 schools a week. I later started my own business like this and have been doing that for the past 9 years.

Organization is a challenge. The hardest part is keeping your materials especially band music organized enough to just take out. Preparing for kids who forget their music unfortunately is essential, especially if you have a small private school program like mine have been where there may only be one student who plays a particular instrument. We should not have to coddle them like that, but they are more prone to fooling around if they cannot participate with the rest of the group.

For band music, I always prepare extra folders for each instrument that include all of the pieces the group is currently working on. That way, if a student forgets their music, Incan just hand them a folder. Get a big bag that has outside pockets where you can store extra small items such as value oil, reeds, a small instrument repair kit, etc. Dile the music folders by instrument inside the bag. My students were always given folding music stands that they needed to bring to rehearsal. I always needed to drag extras of those around as well since students would forget them too.

I always had a cart when I taught general music and had to travel from room to room. I would try to group everything together such as all books in one spot, rhythm instruments in another.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote