Help

Music Teachers

Student interrupting

>

omacrulzzz

Student interrupting
Old 03-31-2016, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have at least one student in several classes, who intentionally interrupts me whenever I try to deliver instructions or read a story to my class. I can't get through a sentence without him yelling something or making a loud noise. I am not allowed to send him to the principal's office. I teach music and only see him for 40 minutes per week. I have spoken to his teacher. She gives him silent lunch, but he always comes back the same. He takes meds for adhd and the parents are not giving them to him consistently. I have talked to the parent and they say they will do something, but they never do. No support whatsoever from administrator. The child hit someone yesterday and when the other child said "Ow, you hit me!" This child said "I meant to hit you!" He laughs constantly and loudly throughout the class period. He refuses to take any consequence I give him and is not receptive to rewards either.

omacrulzzz is offline   Reply With Quote

asiab

Old 05-19-2016, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sorry to see you did not get a reply to this in the last 2 months! I hope things have gotten better for you. I can't imagine being told that we are not allowed to send a kid to the office even if for hitting another student! It is tough in music unless the kid really loves it then their behavior is better in music than in other classes. It is hard to follow through on consequences for sure!

I wonder if there is anything in particular that student enjoys which could be used as incentive to behave. I know for my kids who LOVE LOVE LOVE to play the instruments they will behave so very well when they know they may be able to play one. And then I make sure I give that particular kid an opportunity to play even if he only managed to behave for one moment....

I hope things got better as they spring progressed!
asiab is offline   Reply With Quote