Should I get certified in EC-6 if I primarily want to teach Music? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Music Teachers

Should I get certified in EC-6 if I primarily want to teach Music?

>

TeacherPatric

TeacherPatric

Should I get certified in EC-6 if I primarily want to teach Music?
Old 10-19-2016, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I plan on starting an Alternative Certification program in order to obtain my teaching certification. I would primarily like to teach elementary music, as both of my degrees are in music. I just wondered, should I just get certified in music, or is it worth getting certified to teach any core subject at the elementary level? Thanks!

barfieldmusic

Get Both
Old 10-26-2016, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It will make you more marketable, especially in smaller schools where you could help with other schools. There are a lot more general teacher positions available in a school, whereas, there may only be 1 or 2 music positions in a school. There is nothing to say that you can not incorporate music into a regular classroom. This may be a way to get your foot in the door and get a job.
barfieldmusic is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 10-26-2016, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a degree in music and another in music education. In the different places I've taught,there are very few "music only" positions anymore. The few that still exist have slowly been moving to music plus something else. So I would certainly get certified in more than just music because I do think it would make you more marketable.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote