Help

Music Teachers

Class Suggestions?

>

MrsTchrLady

Class Suggestions?
Old 01-21-2016, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay...so I am a Middle School Music Teacher. I teach 3 sections of band, 1 section of choir and 2 sections of drumline. Drumline is a "general music" class required for kids who are not in band. It is only a quarter long (9 weeks). It is part of a rotation with PE, Art and Technology. I started this class several years ago to help with numbers in other classes. To be honest, I am getting a bit burned out with this class. Do any of you have any suggestions for another "general music" type class (performance based is okay) I could do? I really do NOT want to do a music appreciation class. Boring in my opinion. I want something the kids will be excited about and be willing to work at. I do not have a huge budget, so I cannot just go out and purchase a piano lab or 30 guitars. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance!

MrsTchrLady is offline   Reply With Quote

omacrulzzz

Recorders?
Old 03-31-2016, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach elementary, but I know some teacher's who do soprano recorder in middle school. They are relatively cheap (you can get them for under 3 dollars on some websites) and you could either get the kids to buy them or maybe fundraise through donorschoose.org to get a couple of sets. Then you could basically teach them like a beginning band course with a reproducible book like Recorder Karate or Artie Almeida's Recorder Express (around 30 dollars each). Recorder Karate has nine songs and you could have playing tests every Friday with a certificate or "Karate Belt" for each one completed. The other upside is that recorder is a great pre-band instrument, especially for potential woodwind players.

I don't know if you've tried donorschoose before, but if you want to do guitar or ukelele, or even a piano lab, you might be able to get funding from them. It takes about an hour to write a grant through their website. Good Luck!
omacrulzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
it'stime

it'stime

Old 05-15-2016, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Try a media unit by providing choice:
1) interview a star: use Internet for research
2) American Idol: student performs voice or instrument
3) Create a music video
4) Design a cd cover: includes meaning of song, interpret dynamics, tempo etc.

asiab

Old 05-19-2016, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I once taught a 7th grade music class where they learned how to play a guitar, piano, and drums. Then they got into groups and learned a pop song to record themselves doing. I often ended up playing the piano part to hold it all together. But on piano there is the adult Alfred piano course that I made copies of a few things out of there as long as they never left the room...then I made up some of my own exercises and taught them all the C Blues scale, C major scale, Heart and soul - never got old as they loved it - then on guitar there are a lot of resources online. If you cannot afford guitars then ask kids to bring one in and maybe just those kids can learn the guitar part and put the other kids in groups on other instruments. If you did a call out to your community I am certain you would get lots of small keyboards donated to the program.

Just some thoughts.
asiab is offline   Reply With Quote