Help

Music Teachers

"I don't care"

>

omacrulzzz

"I don't care"
Old 03-31-2016, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Teacher: You're talking, this is your first warning.
Student: I don't care (loud enough for the entire class to hear).
Teacher: I'm writing your name on the board (2nd warning)
Student: I don't care! (shrugs shoulders, rolls eyes) Continues talking and disrupting class.
Teacher: Go to time out.
Students: I don't care. (crawls on floor to time out spot slowly, making noises as he goes. gets to time out and starts hitting the wall.)
Teacher: (Give child an action plan or assigns sentences to write)
Student: Refuses to write sentences.

What should I do? I can't send the child to the office (revolving door, sometimes literally sent back immediately.) I called the parent after class. Parent claims she'll deal with it, but this has happened many times and she never does. I teach music and only see the child one day per week for 40 minutes, so no time to talk with him or give further consequences. I have 2 new children at home and don't have time to keep him for detention. Even if I did, he is unlikely to show up and there is not consequence from administrators for missing detention.

I have tried telling him if he behaves he will get a reward after class. This hasn't worked.

Finally, this is not just this child. I have at least one of these children in 10 other classes. What do I do?

omacrulzzz is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ESLteacher

Better late than never
Old 05-24-2016, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sorry for late reply. First of all, never, ever confront a student in front of the class. This was evident when you said the entire class heard your dialogue. This will only make things worse. At some point, just ignore the student if he does not cause major disruption. I also understand having only 40 min a week with that student does not help you establishing warm and long-lasting relationship. What you can do is work with the classroom teacher on putting together some sort of incentives chart. Make sure to explicitly note on the chart that you, as a music teacher, will have a huge part in determining if the student earns any points/rewards for that day. Also, have parents sign it daily/weekly. I believe the student will fall for this, and having parent sign the chart will hopefully make the student learn some appropriate behavior.
K12ESLteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Oboegal1

I agree!
Old 08-23-2016, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would not give a consequence for how he responds to the first consequence (ignore that). Also, don't call out the kid in front of the class, because then he has to save face with his friends by talking back or acting inappropriately. Maybe find a singing game that the kids LOVE and good behavior is the incentive for a turn? When I taught inner city last year, I did a few bucket drumming lessons, but kids that had received 2 warnings had to watch or clap instead. You might try something like that. Do teachers at your school buddy up to take kids that can't keep it together? Sometimes just a different scene for a few minutes will help a kid to calm down.
Oboegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote