Help

Third Grade

Third Grade Reading Guarantee Help!!

>

wings77

Third Grade Reading Guarantee Help!!
Old 12-18-2013, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our district is having all teachers in the third grade take a Praxis Reading Test to get a "reading certificate" if they do not have a reading endorsement. Evidentally, the fact that most of us have been teaching for a number of years AND have been teaching low readers during that time, does not count. We have been told that the district will pay for it one time and if we do not pass, we can take it again at our own expense. Also, if we don't pass it, we were told we would not be teaching third grade and will be switched to a different school/different grade level. Also, to add to the fun, a few rumors have been floating around - 1. This "reading certificate" is only good for one year. 2. After the year is up, we will HAVE to get our Reading Endorsement. From what I understand, this reading endorsement is costing around $5,000. Personally, I know I won't have an extra $5,000 laying around and teachers cannot apply for financial aid for this endorsement because this class does not count towards a degree. I am so unbelievably stressed over all of this. :-( Is this the same thing everyone is experiencing? Any advice would be oh so helpful :-) Thanks a bunch!

wings77 is offline   Reply With Quote

laurenta

crazy
Old 12-19-2013, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What a waste of money! In our district teachers are having to take 15 hours of professional development in ESE. I believe this is due to the new "push in" model. Eventually all teachers will be dual certified. What is this educational system coming too! Oh... and requiring all teachers to hold an endorsement in reading is silly... like you said... many teachers have tons of experience and that endorsement isn't going to change anything about them.
laurenta is offline   Reply With Quote

TishFish

Reading test
Old 12-19-2013, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach in CT and the year I got certified (3 or 4 years ago) they implemented a required reading test for teacher certification. It was not through Praxis. It was a state exam adopted from a reading exam given in Massachusetts. I don't know what company created it.

It was simply a requirement for certification, and my guess would be that your state is doing the same. In order to maintain your certification, you must take the test, OR have a reading certificate. The tests should be once (you don't have to take your other praxis exams multiple times, right?)

If you have been teaching, the test should be a breeze. Some of my classmates who taught 5/6th grade had some difficultly with phonemic awareness type questions, but I didn't have any trouble passing it on my first go with experience in grades 1-3.
TishFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Begood

Old 12-21-2013, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I completely understand! I took and passed the test last month. My district didn't offer to pay for anything...so that's nice. The test was a lot of phonemic awareness. I bought a book on it. Just felt like I needed some help in that area.

Assuming you are in Ohio like me..I find it absolutely ridiculous that they expect us teachers that have been teaching for years to go back to school out of our own pockets and get something that they are now requiring. Other jobs "grandfather in".

I also have to start looking for classes to renew my license. I gotta find that MONEY $ too. I figured even if I failed the test and had to keep retaking it, it was cheaper than the $5,000 for the reading endorsement.
Begood is offline   Reply With Quote

mammajam

3rd grade reading guarantee
Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What book did you buy that helped you with the Praxis 5203. I am in Ohio and will be taking the test, even though I have been teaching for 25 years 1st and 3rd grade with good test scores. I am very frustrated with all of the hoops we are begin required to jump through in education right now. And with the retirement system the way it is, I will be teaching another 15 years. I hope I can make it. I do love my students.

mammajam is offline   Reply With Quote