Help

Third Grade

Morning Routine idea

>

chipperjd

Morning Routine idea
Old 07-06-2012, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In the past I have had problems with students getting ready for class when they come in each morning. Then they are not ready or do not have the supplies they need when the time comes. They always have the excuse "they did not know." Well here's my idea. I will have a laminated two sided check list, that will fit into one of those paper pockets. (My theme will be dog's this year so it will have a dog on top.) On one side I will have a morning routine checklist? Get two sharp pencils, turn in homework, read morning message ect..... The side of a different color will have going home check list. Things like get homework, clean desk, turn in your two pencils to be sharpened..... So in the morning they will get a crayon (Crayons wipe off easily on laminated things) Go through their check list. Put it in the pocket with morning color side up. Then I can look at chart to see who is ready/here. In the afternoon, they can get the card and go through the going home check list, and put it in chart with the other side showing. What do you guys think of this idea and/or do you do something similar or better?

chipperjd is offline   Reply With Quote

nextgenteach

Practice, Practice, Practice :)
Old 07-06-2012, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In all of the best practices reading, and in conversations with many high quality teachers with exceptional classroom management, the same slogan has been repeated to me: Take the first 2 weeks of school to establish routines! With whatever routine you decide upon have the students practice, write about the procedure, explain the morning routine to a partner, ask questions, I have even seen a teacher post that said she gave a morning routing pop quiz at the end of the 2 weeks (not for a grade).

The idea of a checklist that doubles for attendance is cool. Once it becomes routing, I would anticipate the students being able to go through the process without checking the list off physically, but just doing a mental check. If the students know they have a set number of minutes to get the checklist complete and in the pocket before starting morning work, you should have a class full of working students quickly
nextgenteach is offline   Reply With Quote

mammajam

I have done this
Old 07-06-2012, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a green Morning Routine posted in several places around the room and I have a red End of Day Routine posted several places as well. I have only given individual checklists to kids who struggle with getting things done. We do spend the first couple weeks walking through it together. Good Luck!
mammajam is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs_c

Old 07-06-2012, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I always write our routine on the board each morning: 1. Unpack, 2. DOL, 3. Daily Data, 4. 10 Minute Math. We only turn in homework on Friday, so that gets added on Friday to the list.

As far as the afternoon routines, I don't have any recommendations...afternoons are my least favorite time!
mrs_c is offline   Reply With Quote

mammajam

End of Day was Terrible!! Until...
Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Last year, I decided, with my D5 schedule, that I would try having kids pack up right after recess. They wrote their assignments and had everything put in bookbags and back in lockers. Afterward, we had two D5 rotations and then I did my read aloud for the last 15-20 minutes at the very end of the day. It was calm and relaxing for everyone! I will do it again this year. I read right up until the students were dismissed.

mammajam is offline   Reply With Quote