Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Struggling Writers

>

purple_claire

Struggling Writers
Old 10-06-2012, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm needing some advice on a struggling reader/writer in my 4th grade class. I am using Writer's Workshop for the second time and feel that I am getting the hang of it a little better than last year but am at a bit of a loss over how to help one of my students.

She is well below grade level standard in math and literacy. Her independent writing is illegible both to me and her as she can't read back most of what she has written. She has a good understanding of beginning and ending sounds and is working on CVC words in spelling but this plays no impact on her writing.
So far she is keen to write and has written several stories, although she is unwilling to share them in authors chair. I have allowed her to opt out of sharing with the class, as she is painfully shy already and I don't want to force her into uncomfortable situations.

I am at a loss of how to help her. I have a classroom aid in the room one day during WW who will sit with her and help sound out words etc and plan her sentences out but other than that it's just me supporting her along with conferencing with the rest of the class.

Any suggestions of how I can help? Any and all suggestions welcome!!
TIA

purple_claire is offline   Reply With Quote

MissS

Typing
Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What about typing? I had a few students who were in this boat....both in illegibility and complete angst when it comes to writing. When I could give up the fact that they needed to handwrite out everything, things went much smoother for them.
MissS is offline   Reply With Quote

jonesey6

Might try this...
Old 10-20-2012, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is a computer program called Write Out Loud. It says what you are writing. Students who are well behind their grade level still can identify that this isn't what they are trying to say. I had a young man who came from Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina. He was behind and when I put him on this ..it brought tears to my eyes. He was so excited to hear what he was writing. We bought it through Special Ed funds. Hope this helps!
jonesey6 is offline   Reply With Quote

rikybee

Jonesey6
Old 10-22-2012, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wow! I checked out the program-seems wonderful! Thanks for the post.
rikybee is offline   Reply With Quote