Help

Substitute Teachers

Testing Day Chaos and other assorted events

>

Bobbies

Testing Day Chaos and other assorted events
Old 03-04-2020, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't know if it is my district or maybe the culture of the town, but many times I walk into a classroom with absolutely no notes, no information, nothing on the board or on AESOP.
Thankfully, I have written down the important extentions and have them ready for times like this. Testing days are the worst, by far. For example, just today I was told to go to a room on the first floor. Nope. Note said "testing only". I then learned that Mr. "Smith's" class was moved for the day to the 3rd floor. No one could tell me when I signed in @ the front office? No one could provide me a schedule (as is normally the case) of what lunch shift I have, or my break period, (which usually they send me somewhere else, no "break". Ironically, they upped the pay 10% this year, and I was very surprised, as this is NOT an education friendly city, and this congressional district is among the poorest in the nation. They must be very desperate for subs.
Many of our students do not speak English, and each period, a gaggle of students have to leave and go see the ESL teacher with their work. A note on which students that leave would be helpful, as you can bet some will abuse that privilege. Sub Paras still make just $65 or $75 per full day though. My.experence with paras has all been negative, they are tattle tales (been burned several times by them and see they serve NO purpose at least in this district) who do nothing but play games on their computer and rarely interact with the student(s) they are supposed to be helping. I can't believe how young some of the paras are! I have gotten them confused with students more than once! Neither Paras nor Subs here need anything except a high school or G.E.D. and clean record.

Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote