Open certificated

>

subster2020

subster2020

Open certificated
Old 03-04-2020, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone,

Please can you share your thoughts on this...
I goto this school regularly and what I have noticed regularly is that I am always assigned rover sub . The building is vastly spread, huge and 2 floors. Constantly lugging my bag and running from classroom to classroom from 1 floor to the other and across . I noticed that I am regularly, almost every week the rover. For some reason, I feel the school does not have confidence in me . In spite of the fact that the principal has seen students running towards me and saying they wished I was their sub and even telling the sub coordinator at that school. The teachers requesting for me also does not give this woman confidence in me .

This lady (secretary) only assigns roving jobs for me and I just am fed up of running around, its tiring me .

What would you do ?I have decided not to accept jobs that are roving or open certificated teacher jobs at this school. I feel used .

bodhimom

Old 03-04-2020, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As far as I know, middle and high schools don't do this. May want to check them out, instead.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote
sub202022

sub202022

Old 03-04-2020, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This happened in a K-8 school. I am sent all over the school.
Thank your response :-) , Bodhimom.

Nietzsche

Old 03-04-2020, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I usually don't accept these types of jobs unless it is the last week or so of school. I currently have several of these types of jobs listed on Aesop for middle and high school. They are listed as floater or IEP coverage. There are a lot of these for state testing coverage during April and early May.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

in my experience
Old 03-04-2020, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

roving sub is a very hard job. Not just the running around, but going into a class where you and the kids know you'll be there only a short time with likely no follow up to problems from the teacher. Teachers often have problems planning a short continuation of a lesson or stand alone activity. Subs just bounce from room to room and don't have time to establish much rapport.

I'm thinking they use you for this because you are very successful at keeping the class on task, even when it's a not very interesting one with little consequence. Take it as a complement. Also, you do them when other subs may not take them or protest when switched in at the last minute.

However, you are feeling and likely being taken advantage of by getting these so often. I agree with your solution.

You may want to find out if teachers are able to request or even assign you to sub for them on the program. That way the secretary can't intervene.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
OP224456

OP224456

Old 03-04-2020, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you, you are so sweet, made me feel better actually.
I need to think about it, since I am never given stand alone classes, I won't accept rover jobs ever again.
TBH I feel exploited...strangely.

Sublime

Old 03-04-2020, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I also thought that maybe they think you do well in roving positions and that's why you get them. Do you not know you will be roving until you get to the school?

I don't mind roving once in a while but every week might be annoying. And...I don't run from room to room. I leave when the teacher returns and I walk to the next room. I don't stress about it. If they wanted me there faster they could have sent the last teacher back earlier.

I don't understand what an "open teacher job" is. Is that how it's listed on the computer so that you don't know who you will be subbing for?
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 03-05-2020, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I will echo those who are suggesting that roving assignments are most likely a reflection of their confidence in you.

One suggestion: get one of those wheelie bags or a handled milkcrate with wheels. Personally, I'd be thrilled to rove--and have had several assignments that literally had me going from eighth grade to pre-k and then fifth grade... If, you really don't like it or find it too tiring, talk to the sub coordinator! She might well give you some non-roving jobs to create a balance.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

TheMercenary

Old 03-05-2020, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I sort of like floating / rotating. If I get stuck in a bad class, I know I won't be in there very long.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
sub33300

sub33300

Nobody wants it
Old 03-05-2020, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think it is because no one wants it, it is 2 floors and the classes are vastly spread, a LOT of climbing down, up, and across this place is like a corporate office.

I naively accepted it because it said 'Open Teacher Certificated'.

The previous lady usually assigned a single teacher job for me during these assignments but this new secretary makes me do rover only.

Coming here and seeing all your POVs makes me feel not alone with my own thoughts about this. Thank you for you insight.

bodhimom

Old 03-05-2020, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

All the schools I've worked at, including as the teacher, have done iep's either after School or on prep. We never had a sub for that. Hopefully that doesn't make it feel rushed. We had people move into our district, though, because of our special Ed department.

SubMan

Old 03-05-2020, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Get some business cards and use this to your advantage. Soon you'll be getting requests from those teachers. Also learn to travel light. On rover or floater days I carry very with me.

I have one school that does this to me. No matter what job I picked up I am switched to "special ed assistant." Where I am assigned to a special ed teacher (or several) to do their bidding for the day, copies, supervise students with extra time for tests, recess duty, or even cafeteria duty, which shouldn't happen because at this school they have lunch/recess aides to handle this.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

I would not allow this.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

If that were done to me, I sign-up for a math class or english class and was moved, I'd be upset. That has happened to me very occassionally. However, they are supposed to list the job as Resource Teacher. Since no one ever takes resource, special ed, half-day, or several of the middle schools, they probably are using you so to speak.
Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-05-2020, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have business cards. I staple one to the top of my notes, unless I don't want to go back (has happened).

luv2teach2017

Old 03-07-2020, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
I goto this school regularly and what I have noticed regularly is that I am always assigned rover sub . The building is vastly spread, huge and 2 floors. Constantly lugging my bag and running from classroom to classroom from 1 floor to the other and across . I noticed that I am regularly, almost every week the rover. For some reason, I feel the school does not have confidence in me . In spite of the fact that the principal has seen students running towards me and saying they wished I was their sub
I don't blame you. I don't like roving jobs either. I've tried it a few times and had a similar experience to yours.

I was running here and there across campus just to spend 1/2 hour to 45 minutes with any one class. Not enough time to establish order or get much done. I was essentially baby sitting. The schedule I was given was usually inaccurate or got changed willy nilly, so I'd have to check in with the office between classes to find out where to go next. I had nowhere to put my things or settle down for a break. (I didn't even know when my breaks would be.) And even worse, I had NO control over what grades I was given. So if it was a K-8 (which is common in my district), I took the risk of getting assigned to middle schoolers (totally NOT my thing).

Being popular with the kids feels good, but it's no guarantee of anything. The administration generally sees subs as a resource to be used as needed. It's up to you to decide what works for you. You do have the option to say "No." My guess is that you are being assigned to roving because they know that you will take the job (many won't).

I've learned over time that I needed to find my niche and then be choosy about what jobs I'll accept. I don't know if you have the option, but most districts allow you to go online (AESOP) and pick the jobs you want (rather than waiting for a phone call). Find out if you have that option.

I don't blame you for feeling used. If I had to be at the beck and call of the sub coordinator for my jobs, I would stop subbing altogether!
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
originalpost

originalpost

Are we the same?
Old 03-08-2020, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Totally, I just stopped these jobs on Aesop. The sub secretary at this school is not a nice person, her language usage is not very polite either. One day she mentioned how she can still 'use' me for a different day. I mean really, I never receive teacher absences assignments, only rover jobs from this particular school.

They can rove themselves out. I have no control over the grades, I prefer MS n HS, she knows this and still puts me with ES. Some of the teachers in ES have no manners and are not exactly thrilled to attend meetings.They see me and don't even greet me, there are no niceties involved. Civilized society, yeah right!!

No breaks, no prep class, no personal space to decompress, it sucks.

What do they think subs are, servants? Also, I have to keep calling her every hour / or half hour to know where I have to be next and sometimes she comes across as irritated and takes a tone with me.

The more I think the more I feel I was being exploited.

Running around here n there, with the wrong room numbers at times.

bodhimom

Agree with lovetoteach
Old 03-08-2020, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I agree 100% with lovetoteach.

When students tell me they like me I always wonder if it's because they get away more with me (don't know if this is true, but I wonder it). This is high school.
Nope58089

Nope58089

A teacher paid me the same compliment too
Old 03-08-2020, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

She told me that I know when to intervene and when to let them be.

She actually referred me to a different teacher, the problem is (if you read my original post) teachers & students both request me but the secretary assigns me to roving.

I know I am a good sub.

Bobbies

I would never go back!
Old 03-08-2020, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I absolutely would not tolerate that abuse!
Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote