Help

Substitute Teachers

Schools Closed, Jobs Still in AESOP

>

SubMan

Schools Closed, Jobs Still in AESOP
Old 03-14-2020, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Every one of my districts has shut down for two weeks. I was and still am booked solid for March and April. There has been zero communication to subs about this; i am to report to the schools where I am scheduled to work and help out?

All districts have now scheduled a professional day on Monday for teachers to come to school and work on instructional materials. Am I to go in and help them? Other districts where I have jobs are also open for staff to work from, going online in case they don’t have a solid internet connection at home. Should I report there and help out?

I’m in six districts. Two are with agencies, one has already deleted the lone day I had in the next two weeks. The other has yet to delete their jobs. Of the remaining four I know who I can contact at two but the other two I have no contact information and it is not listed on the district web site.

The school I was subbing at on Friday did have a “teachers check your email” announcement just after lunch. I was told that this was an email from the principal announcing school was closed for two weeks and students should take instructional materials home. The school secretary said “have a nice weekend” as I left.

So I’ll operate as if these are snow days; online school for students, no school for me. I’ll ask my evening and weekend employer for extra hours and I can use the remaining time to look for work other than subbing or work on projects around the house.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-14-2020, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow, SubMan...and that happened with multiple districts? You'd think SOMEONE would have been mindful of the subs! At least you have another job you can fall back on. That's the best strategy...always have a backup job, or source of income, other than subbing.

Yesterday, my district (along with all the area districts) suddenly decided to close down schools for the next month. I heard announcements on the classroom loudspeaker yesterday afternoon urging staff to check their emails, but since subs don't have access to district email, I couldn't get the info. In the meantime, parents were asking ME for information, but I had to refer them to the office because I didn't have the info. myself! Seriously????

I had to wait till I had time, at the end of the day, to ask the office secretary what was going on (I already suspected it was a shutdown). She was being inundated with phone calls from parents asking about the shutdown and had little time to talk to me.

There was NO email to the subs. NO voicemail. Only a notice on AESOP (which I saw AFTER the fact). I had several classes booked for the next couple of weeks, but in my case, they all got cancelled.

My state is making unemployment insurance payments available to those whose job hours were cut/canceled due to the virus, so I'm going to apply. It's not much, but better than nothing. Hopefully I won't be disqualified because I'm a substitute teacher!

Ultimately, I think you have the smart approach by considering this a highly unreliable source of income and buffering yourself with another job. Even better, you have a job that can give you extra hours and pays benefits!

If it's not the virus scare, it's going to be something else. (Last time, it was power blackouts that closed schools in my area.) Substitute teachers have no paid time off or job security and take heavy hits when these things happen. It's a part-time, temporary kind of gig.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-14-2020 at 06:14 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-14-2020, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just wanted to say thanks for the reminder. I had to cancel a flight so I won't need a sub for the days right after spring break (if we actually go back then). I hadn't cancelled yet so took care of it just now. Hate to do that to the sub, but at least they will know early.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 03-14-2020, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

At least the 4 school district I worked for notified us by email and canceled the jobs for us. My other district is on break next week and I'm pretty sure won't be open the following week, as all districts around it are shutting down. Even a sub orientation on Monday was canceled, which would have paid a half day. Interesting times.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

ChessandCheck

Old 03-14-2020, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

i'm not sure I wouldn't check with district/your admin first before cancelling. you might be in a district where there will be some compensation for subs for jobs already booked.

as for me, i woke up to an email from our superintendent with specific directions for every class of employee except substitute teachers, but all my jobs are still listed in smartfind. i don't know what is expected of us. no announcement in the announcements section, no information on the sub section of our district website.

the main school i work at likes to keep it's preferred subs busy and happy, so i will contact someone monday and see. i'm kind of kicking myself because my contact there suggested last week they might want me in an office position; i had wanted this job last year but did not get it. thing is, i like the flexibility of subbing and wondered if i had dodged a bullet - now i'm thinking i would at least have guaranteed income if i were in that position.

ChessandCheck is offline   Reply With Quote

Smores18

Old 03-14-2020, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

A couple teachers I subbed for texted me personally.A very nice gesture on their part. I am booked in April but I am afraid whatever these teachers took a day off for will be cancelled because they took care of it during "break". Unless school related...On a side note, I was still getting calls from Aesop until a few days ago.
Smores18 is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 03-14-2020, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is madness.

I was requested by a few districts, but after I saw that even the NBA was calling it quits I ignored the voicemails.

Maybe I'll be back to work by mid-April unless things get worse.

Even the late night shows are performing without audiences.

Stay well everyone. Vitamin c, d, and zinc are your friends.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote