Help

Substitute Teachers

Schools closing but no cases in county!

>

Bobbies

Schools closing but no cases in county!
Old 03-12-2020, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, I heard on the news tonight that our school district is closed until the 23rd, another full week. What are they going to do with all the jobs I have taken on AESOP for next week? They've yet to cancel them. No offical email from HR dept yet! Everything is closing down here!

Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-12-2020, 10:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It amazes me that you had to find out about that on the news.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

Smores18

Old 03-13-2020, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Aesop still calling and jobs still posted on site. Um come on Aesop! Not very professional!
Smores18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn Today

Old 03-13-2020, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

All the schools in my state are closing. I have a job scheduled but the school district has not sent anything out to the subs. I saw the news on facebook. I heard that they emailed all staff and families but not the subs
Learn Today is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 03-13-2020, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Woke up today to find my small district is closing today until the 23rd when they re-evaluate, job canceled. Luckily, there was a job near me in my bigger district, which has Spring Break next week. I was looking to work a couple days at the smaller district while the bigger one was off. By the end of next week the larger district may be closed, too. Who knows? Interesting times.

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

In the Loop
Old 03-13-2020, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My district just this year gave subs school email accounts. This has been a big help. Now I get emails about school-wide issues at the same time everyone else does. It also helps teachers contact me if they don't have my cell number.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 03-13-2020, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I saw in the news yesterday about my district closing for an additional week (Spring Break this week), and the district sent out an email to all subs this morning. Any jobs we had for next week will automatically be canceled.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 03-13-2020, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I need to rant.

LA unified just made the decision to close all of their schools for two weeks. A whopping 2 days of notice.

Every article I've read about it has talked about the teacher union's leader calling for a shutdown and then the articles always talk about helping the parents deal with childcare and the costs of that and blablabla, but nowhere in any of these articles has anyone mentioned the impact this is having on independently contracted employees of these districts. Then you come to these forums and find out that we're not even kept in the loop via email; gotta find out on the nightly news about it.

Frankly, it's a slap in the face that there's no consideration for us in these plans at all. It wouldn't be the first time that teaching unions here negotiated a deal for themselves while conveniently forgetting that subs who can't join their unions exist. We take care of their classes while they're sick all year. Now they opt to close down, often in areas where there's not even a sign of the virus, and with no warning at all, and they just leave us out to dry. As usual. My district is "still deciding," so I'm basically in limbo wondering if I'll be unemployed next week or not. And since they would just continue regular courses online, this week will never be made up for in the year via an axed spring break or a continuation into summer break, so it's just lost money with no heads up, no warning, and no pay while I'm forced out for an indefinite period of time. Fulltime teachers will of course still be paid for this time spent at home loading google classroom assignments. District subs will be up #### creek.

I swear to god, when this is all over and every sub has just gotten some retail job that pays more than subbing, these same people who sat at union meetings and teacher meetings and never once brought up how independent contracted employees would fare under a zero-notice district-wide closure, are gonna be the first ones to ask "wHy iS thErE a sUb shOrtAge??" when nobody comes back once the dust settles. Like, is it so much to ask that someone in these meetings has our ####ing back for once. We have yours all year long. ####'s sake. Like, imagine if they looked through their sub roster at people who had worked X amount of days in the year and simply put them into the sick pay plan as well. Or imagine if instead of canceling all of our jobs with no notice, they acknowledged that we're adults with bills to pay just like everyone else and simply honored the payment for them so we can ####ing eat. Too much to ask. Well, alright. See where it gets you.

Last edited by Aillya; 03-13-2020 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: added more because i am mad and this hasn't even affected me yet
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-13-2020, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just read the CDC guidelines and haven't seen anything about closing schools when there have been no cases in the district or community. Weird. It says to "work with local health department," but if what people are saying is true, they're ignoring the CDC guidelines. Weird. Just weird.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote
Scsub

Scsub

Old 03-13-2020, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Santa Clara county closed all their schools for three weeks. Zero sub notice. All week they played it off like they were unsure, and then emailed their full time staff about it at the end of the day. I had to find out from someone else.

This is ####ed. Hope you guys have money saved.

Aillya

Old 03-13-2020, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

WELP, my entire county just closed for three weeks. Subs didn't even get a ####ing email. Heard about it from the nice woman in payroll. Teachers are apparently expected to show up and do online classes, and even office workers are still coming in and getting paid, including attendance secretaries who presumably are getting paid to just sit there since there's no attendance to even handle. But subs with scheduled days in the system? Get ####ed, haha. You get nothing! Not even an email! All week they've been deciding this in the background and couldn't even keep us updated, kept us as in-the-dark about this as their students. I'm so mad. Bear in mind, our county hasn't even had a corona case. So nobody's sick, but we're just shutting everything down, ####ing over livelihoods with no heads-up, no compensation, nothing.

Guess it's time to file for unemployment, cash in whatever measly sick days I've accrued, and use these three weeks to study for my IT licensing exam, since even a gutter-tier IT job handling basic troubleshooting pays double what a sub makes. Just a giant middle finger all around. I hope when school is back in session, these people are stuck spending their prep periods covering for each other. The county just screwed over so many people, and nobody involved in this even cares because they're all still getting paid so "oh well haha"

Coffee368

Old 03-13-2020, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Aaaaand closed through the 30th. Like many of you, zero cases in our area, but hey - submit to the hype and just close down. And I rely on this job to pay bills; no second income from someone else for me. Feeling great. So great. Isnít this great, guys? I know you all love this too.
Coffee368 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 03-13-2020, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm feeling ####ing great! No matter how much I vent, I just can't stop feeling GREAT

I love watching fulltime teachers complain about still being paid to come in and teach online classes! Feels great! How terrible! STILL BEING PAID. Must be rough!!

longtimesub

Los Angeles Co schools closed.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It is interesting that, once LA Unified decided to close schools, other districts did the same thing.

Superintendent of LA County Office of Education recommended closing schools on Friday...

Then all districts in LA County followed her recommendation.

My first district is off for next two weeks. My second district is off for next three weeks.

I am not happy about this. But, this might be necessary. European countries also are closing schools to stop the spread of coronavirus.

During this time, I will spend time searching for other jobs...Why not? I will have a plenty of time since I am not working...

Lack of consideration for sub teachers...I am not happy about that either. But, that has always been the case...
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 03-14-2020, 02:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
Bear in mind, our county hasn't even had a corona case. So nobody's sick, but we're just shutting everything down,
Only, due to an appalling lack of testing, you can't actually know whether your county has had a corona case and you can't possibly know that "nobody's sick." Just because no confirmed cases have been reported in your county doesn't mean that nobody's sick with it. This is the purpose of the school shut-down in my area - to give our Health Department a chance to figure out just how widespread it really is.

Quote:
It wouldn't be the first time that teaching unions here negotiated a deal for themselves while conveniently forgetting that subs who can't join their unions exist.
Well, although teachers unions sometimes do help in negotiating for other school workers, they are under no obligation to do so. Do you pay union dues? No? 'Nuff said. If subs want the benefits of a union, they should organize one.

Quote:
All week they've been deciding this in the background and couldn't even keep us updated, kept us as in-the-dark about this as their students.
Are you sure about this? I know that, where I'm at, it was a very sudden decision and no teachers were kept in the loop. On Thursday, it was business as usual and on Friday - BOOM! All schools in the state closed.

Look, it's a truly horrible thing for subs and I agree that it's beyond inconsiderate that districts aren't being sure that subs are notified. All I can say is that they have a lot to deal with right now.

The sad truth is that many people are going to be hurting financially. You mentioned retail but, depending on what type of retail, I'm thinking that jobs are going to be cut and hours reduced because people aren't going into stores if they can help it. Restaurants and fast food are going to take a hit. I know that small, independent restaurant owners are worried about going under. Jobbing musicians are having all their gigs cancelled. Lots of people are losing income due to all the sports shut-downs. If you have any type of sick leave, you're better off than many subs. And, no, it doesn't make it any easier for you to pay your bills to know that others are in the same boat. But it might ease some of your anger to look at the bigger picture.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 03-14-2020, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

THe best thing to do is to regularly check the schoolís website for announcements. This is probably why some of you were not notified. They assume that you are checking it.

You could also call the school and ask.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 03-14-2020, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
The sad truth is that many people are going to be hurting financially.
Within the context of my problem, everyone else I work with on a daily basis is still being paid the same except me. Don't even get me wrong for a second; I know that people in less reliable sectors exist and will get laid off during this period, and that really sucks for them, but bringing it up here is like... okay? I'm sure they're complaining about the situation too. It doesn't change my situation at all though. If anything it makes things worse since it means I can't just get a part-time job and wait this out.

Quote:
THe best thing to do is to regularly check the schoolís website for announcements. This is probably why some of you were not notified. They assume that you are checking it.

My school's announcements were saying they weren't going to close until March 9th, and then announcements ceased until the 13th when the entire county closed. However, despite those announcements, the teachers and fulltime staff were prepping online coursework and getting ready for a closure all week. Maybe your schools were better at warning people ahead of time, but mine were not.

Really unsure why everyone just assumes alllllllll the people here who got screwed over at the last second weren't doing their due diligence when it's literally how we make a living. Like it's so farfetched that school districts/counties were poor about communicating things to their supply staff even though it happens all the time. No offense dude, but of course I checked the site.

Fractured

Old 03-14-2020, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Yeah, some of the attitude we are getting from what sounds like regular teachers is straight up bs. A lot of holier than thou and pull yourself up by your bootstraps type stuff that is really discouraging to see on here. Thatís why there is an us vs them attitude on here, in case you wanted to know.

Tori- Iím in a union for subs in one district. The school district has already tried to get away without paying us. They sent a cold email with their rationale right after school shuttered yesterday. I know subs who are trying to organize another union for subs in other districts. Guess what? It isnít easy at all and they get a lot of pushback from schools and the sub companies. Places like Trader Joeís and Kroger donít have a union either. People who have tried to organize one have been fired and harassed. Starting one is not as simple as it looks.

As for looking on the school site, the district should be in constant communication with us, or the sub services we are part of. Thankfully, I was being emailed about when they went to the banning of school assemblies and sports, so I saw the writing on the wall.

We are supposed to be in this together. I worked on Friday and most of the teachers were out because they have the luxury of taking that time off paid. The person I was subbing for was in the hospital and I helped her come up with a lesson plan. I didnít mind because I knew she had other things to worry about. I didnít want to go in and expose myself but I knew I had to get that money as we were going to close sooner than later. Now I have to isolate myself for a week because I have to treat myself like Iím exposed. My parents are elderly and could use help. This isnít what I wanted. Honestly the attitude of some people on this board is straight up sh*tty.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 03-14-2020, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We have had a death and 9 positives and we are NOT closed.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 03-14-2020, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Schools in my area closed until mid-April.

If things escalate further (seriously hope not) maybe even later.

The government should pay us subs right now. We're technically laid off.

This is madness.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-14-2020, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Saurus- they totally should. I hear stories about domestic care workers and hospitality workers. No one thinks of us, sorry to say. I said it before, if the state or fed govt is shutting us down, they should pay us for days missed. They closed the library in my town, I’m sure they are going to pay every worker there for days they missed. If this goes six weeks or something we are all really screwed.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 03-14-2020, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Sorry, I was not trying to insinuate that you were not doing your due diligence. I was just suggesting that they might not have contacted subs because they were posting information on their website and assumed that people were checking. I don’t necessarily think that is the right way to handle things.

I owned a music education business for many years and was a traveling band director even before that in which I taught at seven plus schools a week, each once a week. In recent years, emergency closings have been listed online and the school website announces where to go to see if the school is listed. Because of this, I never got a phone call when there was a snow day. They figured that everyone in this day and age will check online if they see that there is a winter weather advisory.

However, I understand that this is a different situation entirely and might be handled in a different way. I do agree they should have called and not just assumed you would check the website.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-15-2020, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Quote:
Santa Clara county closed all their schools for three weeks. Zero sub notice. All week they played it off like they were unsure, and then emailed their full time staff about it at the end of the day. I had to find out from someone else.
I'm in a different region, but this is what happened here as well. Schools closed until mid April. It was a last-minute decision. All staff got district emails Friday afternoon. Subs did not. I had to ask the school secretary to find out. Happy Friday the 13th!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-15-2020 at 08:45 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 03-16-2020, 12:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

My jobs in AESOP were cancelled for rest of March. I am applying for Unemployement. As I understand it I will get paid from day one I am out of work. Of course amount will depend on amount I earned, best quarter in the last year.
While thank goodness, was decent.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

Is it state dependent?
Old 03-16-2020, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Do all subs get unemployment? I was told subs in texas cant receive it, but it was just a rumor?
Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote