There are no plans to pay us, in the few mentions we even get in this article. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

There are no plans to pay us, in the few mentions we even get in this article.

>

Fractured

There are no plans to pay us, in the few mentions we even get in this article.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

https://mobile.edweek.org/c.jsp?cid=...4-8AF258D98AAA

What are we going to do? Time to organize. Are people having any success looking for other jobs?

Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-15-2020, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Seattle times also had one article and the districts claim they have no plans for hourly workers. Those were the two news items for google in sub teaching and coronavirus.

ChessandCheck

Old 03-15-2020, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

how do you like that? houston has a plan in place for all it's workers oh EXCEPT SUBS AND TEMPORARY WORKERS. article goes on to ask, just who will bear this burden? well, for me it's going to be me. there will be no other burden-bearing where my family is concerned, i'm sure.

i was hopeful that my district or main school might offer something, but i got a delightful email a bit ago, hopefully i had a nice spring break! oh, but our jobs are cancelled and they will let us know at some indefinite future point if we are needed.

i don't know why i was hoping for anything; my better, more rational self predicted this. still, the reminder that what we do is not REALLY valued stings. it certainly does not engender loyalty or motivation, and to be frank, i have worked my ass off for this school for multiple years now.

if i return (and i probably will, can't beat that flexibility as a single parent), i know i will feel split between the part of me that loves to help anyone i can, and the part of me that was reminded, again, that my efforts are disregarded by most and i remain little more than a warm body to the majority of the people i serve.

sorry for the impromptu vent guys. it's scary and depressing.
ChessandCheck is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-15-2020, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This article may be of help,

https://twocents.lifehacker.com/what...you-1842297383
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-15-2020, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In a fair system, which of course does not exist for us, subs should be paid at a rate that corresponds with the number of days they have worked in the district since the start of the year.

If for example, you worked 60 out of the 120 days that a district has been in session, and you earn $100/day, you should be paid $50 per day. If you worked 90 days, you should be paid $75, and so on.

If our financial fate is left in the hands of school administrators, we will get nothing. Let's hope the state government can help us out.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-15-2020, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks subman. Iím not there yet. I know unemployment is basically a joke and not enough to live on. They are going to start closing most public places here. The fed govt is going to have to give everyone who canít work full paychecks missed or the economy is simply going to collapse or people will start robbing and rioting.

Part of this to me is the principle of it. Iím sick of being crapped on. Schools needed us this week bc a lot of teachers were afraid to come in( not that I blame them). They will need us when schools reopen and people are afraid to go back. Iím not some disposable worker. We deserve full pay. Anyone else who thinks otherwise canít get the hell out of my way. Letís see how more stupid and out of touch our govt can get while it keeps giving money to banks and rich people.

luv2teach2017

Old 03-16-2020, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
Letís see how more stupid and out of touch our govt can get while it keeps giving money to banks and rich people.
Yep...well based on what we've already seen from the fed gov, I don't think stupid has a limit.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 03-16-2020, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you are paying unemployment tax , you should absolutely get it.

One of my districts sent me this last week:

For future pay which will be impacted by our closure, you may elect to file for unemployment compensation through the state office at this link: https://www.uc.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx

We hope that you and your families will stay well throughout this difficult time.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Justasub2

Justasub2

Worried
Old 03-17-2020, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am afraid if l try for unemployment, the districts l work for will "blackball" me. Also, l hope we still are needed in the fall.

Aillya

Old 03-17-2020, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I am afraid if l try for unemployment, the districts l work for will "blackball" me. Also, l hope we still are needed in the fall.

I wish they'd try that here; they'd have to blacklist every sub even left in the district. What scumbags, forcing us out and then making it so we can't collect our own unemployment.

Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-17-2020, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I emailed the district I work for most and asked if they would support us applying for unemployment or would they consider it a break. They said I could go ahead, but it would only be for like 7 days of work because of spring break. I suggest emailing them, but applying either way.

bodhimom

Old 03-17-2020, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I don't get what the purpose is of emailing the district.

I know we get treated like crap, but I truly don't think they'll hold it against us for filing for unemployment. On the other hand, I've been shocked at some things I've seen, so who knows. I certainly wouldn't let the fear keep me from applying.

I think they're going to lose subs for next year because many will have gone to greener pastures.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-17-2020, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I emailed them because I have to sign an agreement saying I wonít file for unemployment during breaks. They considered this an extended spring break, so I didnít want to fill out a bunch of paperwork for nothing. We have now closed down for all of April as well.

bodhimom

Old 03-17-2020, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

That makes sense.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote